Author Topic: The 20 September 2017 build (11176) is out.  (Read 32016 times)

Offline cacb

• Lives here!
Re: The 20 September 2017 build (11176) is out.
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2017, 11:33:02 pm »
compiler: Add button to compiler toolbar to show the select target dialog

Small bug: The tooltip of this button reads "Abort".

Not sure what this does different from the Choice-control next to it...

Offline cacb

• Lives here!
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2017, 11:50:27 pm »
I got a traceback when exiting C::B using the top right system 'X' button on the C::B main window. On trying to reproduce it, the traceback does not show. Seems like an intermittent problem.

Code
BACKTRACE:
[1] wxWindowBase::RemoveEventHandler(wxEvtHandler*)
[2] wxKeyBinder::DetachAll()
[3] cbKeyBinder::OnRelease(bool)
[4] cbPlugin::Release(bool)
[5] PluginManager::DetachPlugin(cbPlugin*)
[6] PluginManager::UnloadPlugin(cbPlugin*)
[7] PluginManager::UnloadAllPlugins()
[8] PluginManager::~PluginManager()
[9] PluginManager::~PluginManager()
[10] Manager::Shutdown()
[11] wxAppConsoleBase::CallEventHandler(wxEvtHandler*, wxEventFunctor&, wxEvent&) const
[12] wxEvtHandler::ProcessEventIfMatchesId(wxEventTableEntryBase const&, wxEvtHandler*, wxEvent&)
[13] wxEventHashTable::HandleEvent(wxEvent&, wxEvtHandler*)
[14] wxEvtHandler::TryHereOnly(wxEvent&)
[15] wxEvtHandler::DoTryChain(wxEvent&)
[16] wxEvtHandler::ProcessEvent(wxEvent&)
[17] wxEvtHandler::SafelyProcessEvent(wxEvent&)
[18] wxWindowBase::Close(bool)
[19] g_closure_invoke
[20] g_signal_emit_valist
[21] g_signal_emit
[22] gtk_main_do_event
[23] g_main_context_dispatch
[24] g_main_loop_run
[25] gtk_main
[26] wxGUIEventLoop::DoRun()
[27] wxEventLoopBase::Run()
[28] wxAppConsoleBase::MainLoop()
[29] wxEntry(int&, wchar_t**)
[30] __libc_start_main

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2017, 12:36:19 am »
compiler: Add button to compiler toolbar to show the select target dialog

Small bug: The tooltip of this button reads "Abort".

Not sure what this does different from the Choice-control next to it...
Thanks, I've forgotten to change the tooltip, I've only changed the status bar help message.
This button is useful for projects with hundreds or thousands of targets (produces by cmake for example).
In these projects you have no chance to use the choice control...
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline cacb

• Lives here!
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2017, 01:16:32 pm »
Thanks, I've forgotten to change the tooltip, I've only changed the status bar help message.
This button is useful for projects with hundreds or thousands of targets (produces by cmake for example).
In these projects you have no chance to use the choice control...

Ok, understand, fair enough. I never have such projects...

Somehow semi-related comment: When adding buttons to toolbars, you eat up toolbar space. I would like to to have the following toolbars in one row only (because 2 rows use far too much space):  Main, Compiler, IncrementalSearch, Debugger, Code Completion

This is currently not possible with KDE even on my 24inch screen. Even if I remove the Main toolbar the remaining is too wide, causing the Code Completion toolbar to become unusable, so regrettably I have to disable Code Completion instead. If it was possible to hide some never used buttons (I use < 50% of them) in the existing toolbars they would fit easily.

Anyway, this version seems very good!

Offline ollydbg

• Developer
  • Lives here!
  • OpenCV and Robotics
    • Chinese OpenCV forum moderator
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2017, 03:25:17 pm »
Even if I remove the Main toolbar the remaining is too wide, causing the Code Completion toolbar to become unusable, so regrettably I have to disable Code Completion instead.
For the CC's toolbar, you may look at Code::Blocks / Tickets / #303 make code completion's toolbar configurable and Code::Blocks / Tickets / #502 resize of code completion toolbar
If some piece of memory should be reused, turn them to variables (or const variables).
If some piece of operations should be reused, turn them to functions.
If they happened together, then turn them to classes.

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2017, 11:41:23 am »
Spelling does not work. The practical use of this version is impossible! hint to solve the problem: - "-funsigned-char"
Are these two separate bug reports in two vague sentences or just one?

The spelling problem has a topic! Post the details how to reproduce the problem there and we'll fix the problem. If you don't do this we could not do anything about your problem...
Next time I'll report similar post in nightly topic to moderator as trolling.
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline DrOli

• Multiple posting newcomer
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2017, 03:07:53 pm »
Dear Sirs and oBFusCATed

Regarding the various kind and prompt response to my (DrOli) posts (the high priority items ended up at the bottom):

1) the Bug report issue Re berlios.de is on the "how to use a nightly build" here (http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php?topic=3232.0)  in para 6.  This is also at the "top level" and highlighted item on this (main CB blog) page (http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php/board,20.0.html)

If those links are "defunct" ... please be so kind as to post instructions/links to your preference.

As promised, I would be happy to re-file these various items into individual bug/feature reports, once provided with instructions.

2) Re "target" Drop Down.  Ok, I see with the nightly there is a new "abort" button (odd name), which does launch a dialogue with the full list of targets. 

That's is helpful thank you, but surely having the drop down itself show up to 8 - 10 lines can't be too difficult, and is much more convenient compared to the additional steps of a dialogue.  Not sure how CB/wsx handles such, but any GUI I've used often has a explicit property/switch to indicate number of items in DropDown (or "max, or etc) ... perhaps that is why I though it might be something quick/easy.

3) Regarding the SVN crashes ... yes, I am sorry that I can't provide some details to permit reproducibility.  As I had noted, if I could, I would.  For the moment, all I can say is, it happens almost every session with the SVN's (including 11176).  It seems to occur when there are multiple projects open, there is switching back/fro, and though it sometimes crashes "mid stream", most of crashes (most every session). occur at shut down.

ALSO, something odd, the SVN's are always asking for my choice of compiler on launch, where as 16.1 does not.  My compilers are well defined so not sure why the nightly's get confused (particularly if they rely on the same "config" etc).

4) Regarding "open window list/navigation".  Thanks for the Atl-g heads up ... Alas, that is not what is required.  The objective is for, like with almost all normal apps, to have a Toolbar/View or something that provides a drop-down of the "OPEN file" (i.e. those in the editor with tabs etc.) ... as opposed to Alt-g, which seems to list all the files in the project (open or not).

5) Regarding "right click pup up menu":  There is almost NOTHING in the top level that I EVER use, save for "watch" sometimes", almost exclusively what I use is in "copy/paste" sub menu (though the inconvenience forces my to use key stroke, an improvement, but still a kludge)

"Simplifying" it by disabling plug-ins is a bit tricky.  Essentially, I only need one plug in, but for that work, I have to enable all manner of things I don't need (and in some cases hate, like code completion)

You seem to say that "most" like the layout as it is ... that may be true, but I find that a little hard to believe.  Regardless, perhaps you could give the user a CHOICE for the "default pup up", perhaps as part of the "settings/env".  You could have the huge cluttered obstructive one for the masochists, and a clean easy to use efficient one for the rest of us :-). 

In an app I wrote, the user had a "toggle" directly on the pop-up to change "format/content".  CB need not be that fancy ... just a thought.

6) Fortran/debug link.  No idea why it used to work (at least partially) but very clearly has stopped working almost entirely at least since GCC5.x

I don't know anything about CodeBlock "innards" or wxs etc.  So not sure how I could contribute, but if you point me in the right direction (and perhaps offer a little "hand holding", I'll give it go.  I would need at least some list of files and "mechanisms" to understand how that operates.

Though, and perhaps a sign of my ignorance, I don't understand why it works fir .c, .cc, .cpp file, and not .f90 etc files.  It is clear the compiler reports back the line numbers of the offending lines (I then use Ctrl g to go to those lines, with Fortran).  Why CB can't make the connection between the compiler's file/line report and provide the linkage (when it can for c etc) seems odd.

If it helps, you can send info directly to me: droli [theatsymbol] thebajors <thedotsymbol> com to get me started to see if I could produce a patch or whatever (remember, hand holding may be required, I am a "math geek" not an "IT geek"/developer. :-)

7) Finally, and a bit frightening, you seem to be saying that the symbol explorer will be removed.  Is that for sure?  I desperately rely on that, and especially the Fortran FSymbol variant (which I understand is a plug-in written by one of the users) ... what would it take to keep that going ... this would be HIGH priority for me.

If it helps, you can send info directly to me: droli [theatsymbol] thebajors <thedotsymbol> com to get me started to see if I could produce a patch or whatever (remember, hand holding may be required, I am a "math geek" not an "IT geek"/developer. :-)

Many thanks

DrO

Offline blauzahn

• Almost regular
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2017, 03:39:20 pm »
@DrOli

4) Regarding "open window list/navigation". 

a) menu: view | open files list
or
b) menu: settings | environment | notebooks appearance | use drop-down tab list

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2017, 04:05:04 pm »
@DrOli:

1. Bugs and feature requests could be posted here: https://sourceforge.net/p/codeblocks/tickets/ Please search before posting!!!
2. There is no place for another choice/drop down control in the compiler toolbar, so if we do it, it will be done as a button or as a submenu in the project menu. I have no idea what you meant with the max items statement...
3. Can you disable code completion and/or the symbol browser and see if these go away. Does they happen when you edit c/cpp projects or only for fortran projects?
3.1. Are you able to make CB close correctly (without crashing) at least once? Also make sure the default.conf in %APPDATA% folder is writeable.
5. You're one sample, so your opinion is recorded. I use more than one of these and I'd never use copy/cut/paste, so I'm another sample... Configurable context menus and toolbars is on my todo, but it is really low priority... Patches welcome, but they would required a lot of rework of the menu/keybind system. I guess, I can easily make a global  control that disables the items produced by plugins. This might be something easy to do.
6. Are you talking about the detection of errors/warnings? I've given you suggestion how to fix those.
7. Yes the one for c/c++ is already disabled for wx3.x builds. The windows builds are still done with wx2.8, but when we switch them the symbol browser will gone until someone finds the time to reimplement it. I'm not using it much so the chances of me doing it are very low. The fsymbols tab is part of the fortran plugin, so I don't have control over it. But if it is implemented in the same fashion as the c/c++ one it will cause a lot of crashes when cb is build for wx3.x, so it will have to be redone or disabled, too.

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2017, 05:42:22 pm »
CentOS 7 and Fedora 25, 26, 27 and Rawhide packages are available from my copr (see signature).

Building Debian packages is currently stalled. I don't know if I will start building for Debian again, because it's much work and I do not use Debian since years.
Debian packages are now available again, please test whether the repo works or not (see signature).
I do not use Debian myself since years.
Builds only happen for the convenience of our users.

Offline cacb

• Lives here!
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2017, 09:29:46 pm »
For the record, these builds appear to be running smoothly with no serious issues:

under Kubuntu 17.04
svn build rev 11179 (2017-09-28 21:32:47) gcc 6.3.0 Linux/unicode - 64 bit
self build from https://github.com/obfuscated/codeblocks_sf

under Win7 64bit
svn build rev 11176 (2017-09-18 08:43:00) gcc 5.1.0 Windows/unicode - 32 bit
Downloaded Nightly binary from this thread

Looking quite good.

Offline cacb

• Lives here!
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2017, 08:34:14 pm »
crash during editing of source file. Adding parameter to function call. XML attached.

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2017, 08:41:25 pm »
cacb: Can you run cb under gdb and when it crashes to execute "thread apply all bt" command and then paste the output here? Make sure to install the package with the debug symbols.

Offline cacb

• Lives here!
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2017, 11:40:46 am »
cacb: Can you run cb under gdb and when it crashes to execute "thread apply all bt" command and then paste the output here? Make sure to install the package with the debug symbols.

I have not been able to reproduce the problem (which was real enough).

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2017, 08:33:24 pm »
I run codeblocks under gdb all the time. Please do it for a while and just wait. It happened more then once it will happen again.