Author Topic: Can Not Run Nightly Build  (Read 6966 times)

Mr. Awesome

Can Not Run Nightly Build
« on: January 30, 2006, 04:07:06 am »
The nightly builds have stopped working for me, but it's not a problem with the nightly builds.  Every time I open the program, I get a runtime error message from windows.  Here is how I got to this point.

Awhile ago I downloaded CB v1.0rc2 and installed it in the Program Files directory (WinXP).  Recently, I decided to switch to nightly builds so I installed a nightly build into C:\CodeBlocks, and copied relevant includes and libs etc. from the Program Files directory into the new one.  Everything was working fine.  However, today, I uninstalled the old CodeBlocks, resetting CodeBlocks' settings.  This screwed everything up so did a system restore, re-installed CB v1.0rc2, and got 1.0rc2 working again.  But, now I get the above problem with any nightly build that I install.

So, does anyone know what is the problem?  I think there is something wrong with the info in the Application Data folder, as default.workspace was missing from there.  I just need some suggestions as to what I should do here.  Maybe clean everything off and redo it?

grunerite

Re: Can Not Run Nightly Build
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2006, 05:01:42 am »
This screwed everything up so did a system restore, re-installed CB v1.0rc2, and got 1.0rc2 working again.

Ah man. This sucks. I've been there before, though never with Code::Blocks.

So, does anyone know what is the problem?  I think there is something wrong with the info in the Application Data folder, as default.workspace was missing from there.  I just need some suggestions as to what I should do here.  Maybe clean everything off and redo it?
I'm no expert, but this is what I'd do. Uninstall 1.0RC2 if it is installed now (you don't want it anyway). Delete directory you had codeblocks in. Then, open RegEdit.exe, go in and wipe-out any codeblocks related entries. Then, go to DocumentsAndSettings\yourusername\ApplicationData\codeblocks, and delete everything in it (unless you have custom compilers or something set up). You should then be clean of codeblocks (except for perhaps any custom templates you made)

Then, go grab a nightly build and stick it somewhere convenient like "C:\Dev\CB_Rev1893" and unzip it. Grab that wxWidgets unicode dll too. IF you aren't using mingw, then grab that MinGW dll on the nightly download site too.

IF you plan to use mingw, but don't have it on your system now (as it might have been in your old codeblocks 1.0RC2 folder) go grab the necessary mingw archives (see Wiki) and unzip them somewhere convenient (C:\Dev\MinGW345), but don't stick them in your codeblocks folder. Add it's bin folder to your path.

Now, your mingw and codeblocks are separated from one another, and that is what you want (if you are using mingw)

« Last Edit: January 30, 2006, 05:06:14 am by grunerite »

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2006, 09:08:26 am »
Settings of nightly builds use an xml file while RC2 uses the registry for that, so actually there can't be much that can go wrong from that point of view. Maybe you garbled the settings file for some reason, though.

Try going to the folder codeblocks inside your application data folder (C:\Documents and Settings\Your UserName\Application Data or a similar path) and delete everything in there. All files in here should be restored when they are removed, and the application should start with factory settins.
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

Mr. Awesome

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2006, 11:39:39 pm »
Try going to the folder codeblocks inside your application data folder (C:\Documents and Settings\Your UserName\Application Data or a similar path) and delete everything in there. All files in here should be restored when they are removed, and the application should start with factory settins.

Thanks, that solved everything.  So, are you sure that uninstalling the original won't interfere with anything in the nightly build besides messing with that folder (which can just be deleted and restored)?

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2006, 09:04:55 am »
Yes, very sure.

RC2 stores its configuration in the registry and puts one file containing the window layout in the home directory.

Nightly builds store all configuration in a subfolder of the %APPDATA% folder (RC2 does not touch this), and they do not use the registry short of writing file associations (which is obviously necessary).
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

Mr. Awesome

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2006, 12:14:50 am »
Well, that same problem has cropped up again, strangely enough.  Just a few minutes ago, I started up CodeBlocks and was greeted with the same messages.  So, I deleted the codeblocks subdirectory in AppData and restarted CodeBlocks, to find out that magically it was working again.  Suspicious, I restored the old default.conf file in the codeblocks subdirectory and found CB to be broken again.

There is something wrong with the old configuration file, but I kind of need it as it has all my settings in it (obviously).  Not only do I really not want to input all of my settings for the FOURTH time, but I want to make sure any future CB config files don't become corrupted again.

The error messages were:
Error: C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\codeblocks\default.workspace does not exist...

And the standard Windows error "codeblocks.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close."  Where you can send an error report to MS.

Here is the default.conf file:
http://www.geocities.com/erichof425/default.xml

Offline TDragon

• Lives here!
    • TDM-GCC
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2006, 12:27:46 am »
Without reading your config file, I know there is (or at least there used to be) a bug with loading the default workspace at startup; the workaround I use is to instead load a blank workspace. Find the line in your default.conf file that reads "<BLANK_WORKSPACE bool="0" />" and change it to "<BLANK_WORKSPACE bool="1" /> to fix this. (And don't choose "Open default workspace" on application start-up until you know it's fixed.)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2006, 12:29:41 am by TDragon »
https://jmeubank.github.io/tdm-gcc/ - TDM-GCC compiler suite for Windows (GCC 9.2.0 2020-03-08, 32/64-bit, no extra DLLs)

Mr. Awesome

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2006, 12:44:37 am »
Thanks, now the problem is solved permanently.  :D

Offline Michael

• Lives here!
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2006, 11:31:39 am »
Without reading your config file, I know there is (or at least there used to be) a bug with loading the default workspace at startup; the workaround I use is to instead load a blank workspace. Find the line in your default.conf file that reads "<BLANK_WORKSPACE bool="0" />" and change it to "<BLANK_WORKSPACE bool="1" /> to fix this. (And don't choose "Open default workspace" on application start-up until you know it's fixed.)

Hello,

Did you have already submitted this bug(s) to sourceforge?

Best wishes,
Michael

Offline TDragon

• Lives here!
    • TDM-GCC
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2006, 04:07:36 pm »
I haven't yet. When I first noticed it, I assumed it was a temporary artifact of someone's SVN changes and would be fixed soon. If it still isn't, I can submit a bug to the tracker today.
https://jmeubank.github.io/tdm-gcc/ - TDM-GCC compiler suite for Windows (GCC 9.2.0 2020-03-08, 32/64-bit, no extra DLLs)