Author Topic: Recent files list improvements  (Read 4620 times)

Offline artoj

• Almost regular
    • http://ajonsson.kapsi.fi/
Recent files list improvements
« on: January 28, 2006, 05:22:54 pm »
I know the recent files list is in the bottom of the priority list but I really would like to see some improvements made to it.

The problems I see:

* Dead files are deleted automatically
* When trying to open a dead file user is not given choise not to delete the file
* File names can get really long, provide option to remove the path

Now in detail.

Dead files are deleted automatically

This is in my opinion the most annoying problem. Let say that I work with a project which I've saved to an usb drive. Now every time the drive is not connected the recent file entry which points to that project is deleted and I have to find it again. There should be at least an option to disable this behavior.

When trying to open a dead file user is not given choise not to delete the file

Two words: user interaction. Maybe the user didn't want to delete the entry? The thumb drive example works here too: if the drive is not connected the recent files entry is deleted automatically when clicking it.

And the dialog should say "The file "$FILE_NAME" cannot be found. Remove it from the list?" (or something like that) not "The project file does not exist..." (which project are you talking about?). Also there's currently a bug with opening dead _file_ entries: there's no messagebox.

File names can get really long, provide option to remove the path

I have project in My Documents\Projects\CodeBlocks\Plugins\TestPlugin\src\TestPlugin.cbp so the actual file name is very long. When this file is in the recent files list it makes the list very hard to read. It would be really nice to have an option to remove the path and display only the file name "TestPlugin.cbp".

I know these are really small things but it's important to remember that it's usually small things that make the UI more enjoyable to use.

Comments/flames?

Offline Ceniza

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • CenizaSOFT
Re: Recent files list improvements
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2006, 05:31:08 pm »
I like the idea.

I wonder if it'd be possible for the "File names can get really long, provide option to remove the path" to at least show the full path in a tooltip (or maybe the statusbar) when the pointer is over it to avoid guessing when there's more than one file/project/workspace with the same name.

It'sn't high priority, but if a dev or contributor wants to work in something simpler, this could be a choice :)

Offline killerbot

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2006, 05:56:48 pm »
hehe, somebody called me ;-)

might do it some day, know the code a little bit, since I have been fixing bugs in that area, reported by .... artoj ;-)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2006, 06:15:18 pm by killerbot »

Offline Michael

• Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2006, 08:30:51 pm »
Hello,

I find your suggestions interesting :D. To perform automatically some tasks is always welcome (IMHO :)), but it should be an option that allow the user to disable such behaviour (if possible). Unfortunately we cannot put options for everything :(, because C::B would become rather difficult to use (especially for beginners or users with limited knowledge).

Michael

Offline artoj

• Almost regular
    • http://ajonsson.kapsi.fi/
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2006, 11:22:44 pm »
Thank you for your comments. I know these issues are very minor but I want the UI of C::B be the highest quality. :)

hehe, somebody called me ;-)
might do it some day, know the code a little bit, since I have been fixing bugs in that area, reported by .... artoj ;-)

Thanks killerbot, I really appreciate your help. :)

Another thing in C::B that needs some UI love is the Tools-dialog/section, more about that later.