Developer forums (C::B DEVELOPMENT STRICTLY!) > Development

[Proposal] Move the custom variables WX_SUFFIX... to global variables

(1/6) > >>

BlueHazzard:
Hi,
from time to time i try new wxWidgets builds with codeblocks (debug, non debug, wx3.1, trunk ecc...)
On Windows you have always to adjust the "Custom variables"

--- Code: ---WX_SUFFIX
WX_CFG
WX_VERSION
--- End code ---
for every project in the workspace. I know i can use a plugin for this, but this will alter the project files and so they are no longer in sync with the repository and show differences. I think the global variables would be a better place for this type of setting. Also if i alter the configuration of the codeblocks.cbp i can not use the same plugins, so the main project and the plugin projects are connected, and i think it makes sense to configure them from one central place...

So a possibility would be to use the custom fields of the $(#CB_RELEASE_TYPE) variable. Something like $(#CB_RELEASE_TYPE.WX_CFG) ecc.
A better place would be the $(#WX) variable....

any thoughts about this?

stahta01:
Another solution is to use wx-config under windows, instead.

Tim S.

golgepapaz:

--- Quote from: BlueHazzard on January 30, 2017, 08:42:51 pm ---Hi,
from time to time i try new wxWidgets builds with codeblocks (debug, non debug, wx3.1, trunk ecc...)
So a possibility would be to use the custom fields of the $(#CB_RELEASE_TYPE) variable. Something like $(#CB_RELEASE_TYPE.WX_CFG) ecc.
A better place would be the $(#WX) variable....

--- End quote ---

I second that. Recently I needed to use wx3.1 on msys2 since the earlier wxWidgets does not build with gcc6.3
I give up converting at third plugin project or so. we have wx30, wx30_64,wx30-unix etc and their associated update and batch build scripts.
Adding a new configuration feels like major PITA.

oBFusCATed:

--- Quote from: BlueHazzard on January 30, 2017, 08:42:51 pm ---any thoughts about this?

--- End quote ---
Global variables don't have default values - so it will be hard to setup if you don't know what you're doing.
I'm doing this by having a patch that changes the versions and just rebase it on top of everything.
Btw switching to wx-config doesn't help because not everybody is installing wx-config in the global place for it.
So again users will have to change `wx-config --libs` with `<path>/wx-config --libs` in every project.

BlueHazzard:
Well, you have to set $(#WX) anyway, so i don't think this should be a issue if it is mentioned in the build instruction or readme file.

Or we implement default values for global variables ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version