Author Topic: Changing Location of CodeBlocks Directory  (Read 6420 times)

Mr. Awesome

Changing Location of CodeBlocks Directory
« on: January 27, 2006, 04:53:31 am »
My original installation of CodeBlocks was under Program Files (I'm WinXP btw), but I would like to move to the root of the C drive.  This is mostly for convenience but partly because that's the only place it can detect and properly set the icons for file associations.  When I simply move it, opening any settings window gives me an error message of all these things it can't find because the path is now invalid.  What do I need to change so CodeBlocks knows where it is?

Offline killerbot

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: Changing Location of CodeBlocks Directory
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2006, 07:39:21 am »
2 questions :
 - which version of CB are you using ?
 - setings window of CB ? Could you state the error message explicitly ??

Offline TDragon

• Lives here!
    • TDM-GCC
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2006, 04:17:49 pm »
As with any sizable program, Code::Blocks saves all the settings choices each user makes. (In the current revision and under Windows, they're saved in Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\codeblocks.) Right now, C::B is a little brittle when it comes to paths changing, so the easiest thing to do would be to delete your settings directory so that C::B will regenerate everything from the defaults next time you run it.

P.S. -- If you're running version 1.0rc2, I'd highly recommend upgrading to one of the nightly builds which fix many of the bugs (albeit adding some new ones) and are more feature rich. Check the Nightly Builds forum for the latest.
https://jmeubank.github.io/tdm-gcc/ - TDM-GCC compiler suite for Windows (GCC 9.2.0 2020-03-08, 32/64-bit, no extra DLLs)

Mr. Awesome

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2006, 06:04:18 am »
Thanks for the suggestions.  I'm currently using the last stable release of CodeBlocks.  I may try installing a nightly build, but I always seem to have trouble with CVS/SVN like things.  Actually, the main reason is that I don't want to have to re-enter all of my settings (esp code coloring).  Where is the settings file for my version of CodeBlocks (1.0)?

Offline Michael

• Lives here!
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2006, 12:47:33 pm »
I may try installing a nightly build, but I always seem to have trouble with CVS/SVN like things.

For a nightly build you do not need CVS/SVN :). Only if you would like to get the sources. Anyway TortoiseSVN is really simple to use (at leasat for basic tasks).

Michael

Offline TDragon

• Lives here!
    • TDM-GCC
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2006, 05:48:40 pm »
I haven't used 1.0rc2 in quite a while, but if I recall correctly the settings are saved under Documents and Settings/<username>/CodeBlocks.
You need four things to run a nightly build:
- 7Zip (or another program that can read .7z files, such as WinRAR)
- mingwm10.dll (comes with MinGW, found in your MinGW/bin or CodeBlocks/bin directory)
- wxmsw26u_gcc_cb.dll (a download link is provided in the Nightly Builds forum)
- The nightly build itself (again, a download link in the Nightly Builds forum)
So basically just install 7Zip if you haven't already, download the nightly build and put it wherever you want, and put the two dlls in the same directory as the nightly build.
https://jmeubank.github.io/tdm-gcc/ - TDM-GCC compiler suite for Windows (GCC 9.2.0 2020-03-08, 32/64-bit, no extra DLLs)

takeshimiya

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2006, 05:52:22 pm »
I haven't used 1.0rc2 in quite a while, but if I recall correctly the settings are saved under Documents and Settings/<username>/CodeBlocks.
Nope. They are saved in the registry.

Offline killerbot

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2006, 05:53:44 pm »
even for mingwm10.dll we provide a link in the nightly build ;-)

As I remember for RC2 a lot of stuff was stored in the registry (windows). So even when RC3 or V1 comes you'll have to reenter all the stuff again, since at this moment there's no conversion tool.

Mr. Awesome

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2006, 07:36:36 pm »
As I remember for RC2 a lot of stuff was stored in the registry (windows). So even when RC3 or V1 comes you'll have to reenter all the stuff again, since at this moment there's no conversion tool.

See, this is the main reason why I don' want to do it.  But, if I do decide to do it, can you assure me that I won't ever have to do it again?  :lol:

Seriously, though, I already have 7zip and mingw, so I will install a nightly build sometime soon.  Just don't go changing the settings format on me again. :x :lol: