Author Topic: Help with Allegro game programming library  (Read 12035 times)

biscuitz

Help with Allegro game programming library
« on: March 29, 2005, 06:55:16 am »
:D How would I install Allegro  so I can use it? It's a game programming library thingy for C++ I think (haven't used it yet). I couldn't find documentation on installing for CodeBlocks Studio.
They're website is http://www.talula.demon.co.uk/allegro/
I really hope I can use it.

mike

« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2005, 04:38:29 pm »
If it's a library - link to it :-)
Why do you think it has anything to do with C::B?

biscuitz

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2005, 05:17:58 pm »
Well for me it has to do with CB cuz I'm using CB. :D
 :? Sorry but I'm a noob. I don't know how to liink to a library or how to use Allegro. I just started learning c++ (on my own). I read on that site how to install for other IDEs so I thought there's a way to install for CB. I'm confused.

Edit: I'm trying to build the library as a static link. I'm not sure what I'm doing so any comments, please help.

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
    • Code::Blocks IDE
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2005, 06:54:43 pm »
Allegro is really easy to build...
Download the file all4118.zip from the allegro site, unzip it, cd to that directory and type in a command prompt:
Code
fix mingw32
set MINGDIR=c:/mingw
mingw32-make
mingw32-make install

Two notes:
MINGDIR above should point to the directory that MinGW is installed on your system. C:\MingW is the default. If you downloaded the full Code::Blocks version which contains MinGW, then set MINGDIR to point to the directory you installed Code::Blocks.
If you don't have "mingw32-make", use "make".

That's it.
If something fails during compiling, study the messages carefully. For example, allegro might need the Directx development files (I wouldn't know, but I saw them at the allegro site ;) ).
Be patient!
This bug will be fixed soon...

mike

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2005, 11:27:35 pm »
Just a wisdom note ;-)
If you just started learning C++ on your own, it might not be that wise to start with game programming using Allegro, DirectX, OpenGL, or whatever else there is. Try starting with a smaller non-graphical example, and then gradually build your knowledge about the language, libraries, etc.

biscuitz

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2005, 01:23:20 am »
:cry: I can't get it to work. I used from the readme:
Code

#include <allegro.h>

int main() {
    allegro_int();
    allegro_message("Hellow World!");
    return 0;
}
END_OF_MAIN();

:cry: I get errors like - 'allegro_init' undeclared (first use this function). What the heck is a matter with this? I built the static linking install (don't know what that is). After I did that I executed "make clean" in the command prompt. I need help. 30 mins later... I can't get anything to work! Why won't this work?

biscuitz

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2005, 06:14:04 am »
I fixed it with the people at Allegro. I was supposed to add a bunch to the library list thing. I got it working now.