Author Topic: The git vs svn holy war.  (Read 8598 times)

Offline Pavel Vasilev

• Single posting newcomer
The git vs svn holy war.
« on: October 19, 2016, 01:27:43 pm »
Hello all.

First of all, I like code::blocks very much and would like to thank the devs and contributors. But, as it often happens, there are a couple of annoyances that I want (and believe I can) fix and contribute patches.

The thing is, code::blocks uses SVN as its revision control system. Which happened to be a game-breaker (not to be rude, but it's been hard to find an active SVN repo for last couple of years).

My question is: have the devs considered moving to git? I've seen arguments on this forum from early 2010s and even before about its limited support on Windows (which is quite frankly not the case now) and lack of GUI (same here, there are plenty of them now). And there's github with its insane user base.

Of course this is only a suggestion (a question even). It just feels more natural for an occasional contributor like myself (and many other githubers) to clone the required development branch, play with it on a local machine (possibly breaking commits and fixing them after without publishing the branch in a broken state) and then submit a pull request for an automated merge. And it's easy.

I guess it would be unnecessary to go with the "why my cat thinks git is better" thing. It's just my opinion that the development of code::blocks could become faster and more people would contribute patches/PRs were it git-driven.

P. S.: I will, of course, look into the aforementioned "annoyances" and try to provide patches if I happen to fix them.

P. P. S.: Please excuse me if that sounds like another "svn sucks lets use git it's 2046 already" post.

Offline ollydbg

• Developer
  • Lives here!
  • OpenCV and Robotics
    • Chinese OpenCV forum moderator
Re: The git vs svn holy war.
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2016, 04:51:04 pm »
I use git-svn on Windows. So, I mainly use git.
I can apply patches in either SVN or git style, so I have no problem. You can see some git clones of our SVN repo.  Then you can post git style patches if you want to contribute.

btw, I think we have discuss such issue before.

If some piece of memory should be reused, turn them to variables (or const variables).
If some piece of operations should be reused, turn them to functions.
If they happened together, then turn them to classes.

Offline raynebc

• Almost regular
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2016, 07:40:47 pm »
I think a big reason you don't see SVN repos as much any more was because Google Code was the big SVN service out there and they shut down.  I was 100% happy with SVN, but then again I rarely received code contributions from others.  Git is fine too, but it's undeniably more complicated for my simple needs.  Those using TortoiseSVN would have minimal difficulty transitioning to TortoiseGit, although there is a learning curve due to the differences between Git and SVN in general.

Offline Pavel Vasilev

• Single posting newcomer
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2016, 01:27:28 pm »
Yeah, I will dig into git-svn this weekend. I suppose git can be as hard for a hardcore SVN user as SVN is to me.

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2016, 11:32:04 am »
You can use my git clone on github (https://github.com/obfuscated/codeblocks_sf) if you're too afraid to use svn. Just don't expect that I'll accept regular pull requests. You still have to post finished patches on the issue tracker at sf.net.
But I see no reason for this reluctance to use svn for minimal changes. I doubt you'll make tons of changes where git's better workflows will give you any benefit. If you plan something big then it is better to discuss it on the forum, so your work is not wasted.

p.s. If you want a big project still using svn - go check the llvm project.
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]