Author Topic: License Loader  (Read 4083 times)

sethjackson

License Loader
« on: January 25, 2006, 11:28:23 pm »
Hi I was thinking it might be a good idea to write a class that loads the license file from disk instead of hardcoding them as macros in license.h. Basically you would do. LicenseManager::Load(LICENSE_GPL) or something.... Call the class whatever you want (LicenseManager probably is not the best name in the world). The Load, or Open fuction or whatever would take one argument telling the function which license to load. BSD, GPL, LGPL, WX, etc. Good idea or no? Maybe my implementation isn't the best, but I think it gets the point across (I hope).......

Offline rickg22

• Lives here!
Re: License Loader
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2006, 11:30:50 pm »
Well I'm really not sure... if an end user wants to modify the license...

WAIT A MINUTE! GPL is _NOT_ an EULA! It's a distribution license! (Also this takes away the need to click on "I agree" in the installation)

You're so right! The GPL should come as a separate text file!

sethjackson

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2006, 11:32:34 pm »
Well I'm really not sure... if an end user wants to modify the license...

WAIT A MINUTE! GPL is _NOT_ an EULA! It's a distribution license! (Also this takes away the need to click on "I agree" in the installation)

You're so right! The GPL should come as a separate text file!

Yeah that was the whole point......  :lol: Also it means we could load different license easily if we wanted to.... No more hard-coded macros than possible please. :)

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2006, 11:42:33 pm »
This is not correct at all.
Ohe of the GPL's most important clauses is the exclusion of any guarantees, liabilites or retributions, express or implied, which the authors or copyright holders might otherwise be bound to as a direct or indirect consequence of usage of the licensed software.

EDIT:
In other words, if your program eats my cat, and you did not make me click on "I accept", then you'll pay for my cat ;)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2006, 11:44:20 pm by thomas »
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

sethjackson

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2006, 02:49:56 am »
Ok so is this a good idea or not????