User forums > Using Code::Blocks

[SOLVED]Multiple instances, ver 16.0.1. Is this feature operative?

<< < (5/6) > >>

BlueHazzard:
Ok after more testing i came to the following result:
1) After some code analysis i could not find any bug
2) I tried different approaches to debug this and i was not successful to reproduce the bug
3) After checking what .exe files are started by double clicking from the explorer i noticed that it started some old codeblocks version
4) I deleted all registry items that where related with opening codeblocks from the explorer and now all is working as expected. All the settings work as intended

TL;DR: Codeblocks works fine, no bugs related to DDE. Windows was messing up (but i don't know how and why)

stahta01:

--- Quote from: BlueHazzard on October 30, 2016, 03:00:59 pm ---Ok after more testing i came to the following result:
1) After some code analysis i could not find any bug
2) I tried different approaches to debug this and i was not successful to reproduce the bug
3) After checking what .exe files are started by double clicking from the explorer i noticed that it started some old codeblocks version
4) I deleted all registry items that where related with opening codeblocks from the explorer and now all is working as expected. All the settings work as intended

TL;DR: Codeblocks works fine, no bugs related to DDE. Windows was messing up (but i don't know how and why)

--- End quote ---

Problem is likely in the CB Installer from what you described.
IIRC, both 8.02 and 10.?? installers did more registry stuff in Windows; likely if you had either installed you would have gotten weird issues like this.

I will try installing the current stable release and a nightly to see if the problem happens.
Then, if it fails to happen will install multiple CB stable releases and see if I see it.

Be a few days/weeks before I start; still working on a CB coding change in CompilerFactory.

Tim S.

tilmannreh:

--- Quote from: stahta01 on October 30, 2016, 05:44:09 pm ---Problem is likely in the CB Installer from what you described.
IIRC, both 8.02 and 10.?? installers did more registry stuff in Windows; likely if you had either installed you would have gotten weird issues like this.

--- End quote ---

This is interesting. Indeed, I was using 8.02 and 10.05 before.
I will test with a fresh install of the current version and then report if the problem is reproducible.

tilmannreh:
Hello again, and sorry for the delay. Other really urgent work got in the way...

Meanwhile, I did a fresh install (CB 16.0.1) on another W7Pro computer. The bug is reproducible there as well, CB never opens a second instance when another project is opened by double-click on the .cbp file.

However, at a W8.1 laptop I uninstalled CB, then cleaned the registry from all CB related entries, and did a fresh new install of CB 16.0.1 as well. Interestingly, here a second instance is opened if I do exactly the above.

This is really weird.  :-\

tilmannreh:
Hello once more...

I found out that somewhere in the W8.1 system there were residues from the previous CB installation(s). So I uninstalled it again, and then manually deleted *every* entry in the registry and *all* folders and files below C:\Users that contained anything about CB.

After having done a fresh installation of CB 16.0.1 on that W8.1 laptop again, it behaves exactly like the fresh installation on the W7Pro computer before (with the bug being persistant).

So in fact there is no difference between these two Windows versions, and the bug appears perfectly reproducible to me. Opening a second project by just double-clicking the .cbp file in a shell like Total Commander does *not* open a second instance of CB even though this should happen according to the settings.

On the other hand, the W8.1 laptop with the "uncomplete" deinstallation before CB installation didn't show that buggy behaviour - so it appears to be somehow related to data in the registry and/or the "Users" files in Windows indeed. This also explains why this bug obviously doesn't show in Linux.

If there's anything I could test for further analysis, let me know.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version