Author Topic: unable to load more than one source file under ubuntu but ok under mint  (Read 4383 times)

Offline maglevrabbit

• Single posting newcomer
 Normal behaviour using Linux Mint is that Codeblocks will automatically start and load a source file (e.g. xxx.cpp) when i click on the file within the file manager and i have set up an association between the file type and Codeblocks. Clicking on a second or subsequent file will then load that into the running instance of Codeblocks (assuming the Environment options of Codeblocks have been set appropriately).
However, under every flavour of Ubuntu I have tried so far, only the first source file will load. Clicking on any subsequent source file will not work.

Running from a console, the console produces the error message "Warning: DDE topic ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?@ not handled." (NOTE: question marks were contiguous with no spaces in the actual error message, but produce emoticons in the forum so i added the spaces) when trying to load a second or subsequent file into Codeblocks.

Note that I am using the version of Codeblocks that is in the Ubuntu / Mint repositories (13.12). I have also experienced this behaviour with several versions of both Mint and Ubuntu. I am currently running the latest 16.04 LTS version of Ubuntu Mate.  Note also that the same thing happens with Ubuntu standard and Ubuntu Gnome.

Odd that Linux Mint always seems to work despite Mint being based on Ubuntu!

This does not seem to me like a bug, otherwise i would have reported the problem on sourceforge as you advised, but looks more like some sort of configuration issue.

Thanks.  8)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 01:51:44 am by maglevrabbit »

Offline BlueHazzard

• Developer
  • Lives here!
the problem comes with the window manager. Ubuntu uses its home made unity and mint uses a gnome fork. So your problem lays in the window manager. Unity is sometimes strange...

[EDIT:] Have you the possibility to debug codeblocks?

[EDIT2:] If you turn off the setting "only one instance" does the file multiple file opening work?

greetings

« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 02:23:39 am by BlueHazzard »

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
It is not a Ubuntu issue, something is broken in C::B, but I've not finished debugging it.
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline maglevrabbit

FYI the new version of Mint (18 BETA) no longer works either. This is the first version of Mint that has not worked, going back about 4 or 5 versions.  :-\

Offline maglevrabbit

the problem comes with the window manager. Ubuntu uses its home made unity and mint uses a gnome fork. So your problem lays in the window manager. Unity is sometimes strange...

[EDIT:] Have you the possibility to debug codeblocks?  ------- NO    :)

[EDIT2:] If you turn off the setting "only one instance" does the file multiple file opening work? ------------ NO  :)

greetings

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
As a workaround you can always use File -> Open instead of double clicking in the File manager of your choice.
Does this work?
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline maglevrabbit

As a workaround you can always use File -> Open instead of double clicking in the File manager of your choice.
Does this work?

Yes that works fine. Its just not my usual way of working. I like to have the folder with my source files open and then click on whichever i need to edit. Its quicker and more direct than going through the open file dialogs. I could of course create a project and add the files to it, but i compile and build my software from the command line, and i prefer to try and be as editor agnostic as possible - i like to be able to switch to a new editor/ide without having to relearn a new work flow.

When i got this problem i did at first try switching to Codelite. Codelite works fine when loading multiple files via the file manager, but I the code folding which i always use is rather dumb in that there seems to be no easy way to open a file in folded mode for some strange reason. Also it is not very easy to fold an opened file - you have to select the entire file and then perform a "fold selected text" function from the menu for every file you open. Life is too short.

Phil.  :)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 01:24:07 am by maglevrabbit »

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Did you doublecheck your codeblocks settings ?

"Settings -> Environment... -> General settings -> Allow only one running instance" unchecked
"Settings -> Environment... -> General settings -> Use an already running instance" checked

Both for the default profile/personality (if you use more than one).

Is C::B compiled/linked against wx2.8 or wx3 ?
Does it work from console (you probably need to use full paths for the files) ?

Offline maglevrabbit

Did you doublecheck your codeblocks settings ?

"Settings -> Environment... -> General settings -> Allow only one running instance" unchecked
"Settings -> Environment... -> General settings -> Use an already running instance" checked

Both for the default profile/personality (if you use more than one).

Is C::B compiled/linked against wx2.8 or wx3 ?
Does it work from console (you probably need to use full paths for the files) ?

Those settings don't work, neither does having them both on.

Sorry but i have no idea how C::B was compiled - i just used the version in the distro suppository.

I tried from the console and it does not work - that was how i was able to see the error message mentioned in the original post.

Thanks.