Author Topic: Some questions about Code Blocks  (Read 8776 times)

Offline harut2K

• Single posting newcomer
Some questions about Code Blocks
« on: December 20, 2015, 11:13:37 am »
 Hi, I just recently started getting into coding in C++, and this is the compiler I'm using. I just have a few questions concerning this program.

1) Lets say I typed in "std::cut <<". When I try to add in the missing o in "cout", it replaces the U with an O (instead of adding it), and then when I type in U, it replaces the T! I don't know why its such an unorthodox system and its very annoying. How do I fix this?

2) How do I run it without debugging mode?

And my last question does not really have anything to do with codeblocks (Sorry administrators, I just don't know where to post this part of my questions)

3) Where can I learn bits of coding (about C++)?  Like, is there a website that teaches you small bits of code like "std:cout" does this, or  endl; does that?

Thanks!!

Offline headkase

• Almost regular
Re: Some questions about Code Blocks
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2015, 11:27:18 am »
1) You probably have your insert/overwrite keyboard mode in the wrong one.  Press the insert key on your keyboard and try again.  If that doesn't work, press the insert key again and then try again.

2)  You can choose to build debug/release from the drop down box in the build section on the toolbar.  If you don't have the right toolbars then go into the view menu and find the right ones.  Then to run a program in whichever mode choose either the green arrow to run the last built or the combination green arrow/gear to build the current project and then run.  The red arrow runs in debugging mode and will run until it hits a break point which you toggle a red octagon on/off by clicking in the margin of the line you want it to stop at.

2a)  Debugging, the red arrow, will not work unless you have the "produce debugging symbols (-g)" option enabled in your compiler settings.  If you do not have that enabled and you start with the debugging red arrow then any break points you have selected will be skipped.  When you really do want to build a "final" release version of your program then choose "Release" mode, uncheck the "produce debugging symbols" option in your compiler settings, and then for good measure when you have your executable out of that run your compiler toolchain "strip" command on the executable to get rid of the last few symbols.  That resulting .exe is your "final" one.

3) See, Here, specifically: This Video Series - just download the zip of that and you have a complete video tutorial on C++.  If you would rather not download 1.1GB of video, you can check out an alternative series: Here.

Offline harut2K

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2015, 04:04:50 pm »
 Thanks!!! :DDDDD

Offline headkase

• Almost regular
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2015, 09:44:06 pm »
Right on, you're welcome.  :)

Offline harut2K

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2015, 10:13:15 am »
Ok so I'd like to know if that link you provided for the videos is all there is to know about C++? If there are any professional courses or tutorials then that'd be great.

Thanks again.

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2015, 01:19:38 pm »
Ok so I'd like to know if that link you provided for the videos is all there is to know about C++? If there are any professional courses or tutorials then that'd be great.
How is that related to C::B? Please concentrate on topics related to C::B. Everything else is out of scope for this forum. Please respect the forum rules you've agreed to, especially that this is not a general programming forum. Thank you!
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline headkase

• Almost regular
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2015, 06:16:08 pm »

Thanks again.

See: Here.  The information isn't specific to C++ but rather can be adapted to any language you'd like to implement the concepts in.

How is that related to C::B? Please concentrate on topics related to C::B. Everything else is out of scope for this forum. Please respect the forum rules you've agreed to, especially that this is not a general programming forum. Thank you!

Now, as said, we must follow the forum rules.

--

Use the Google search engine to find many more resources.  Including: Reddit C++, Stack Overflow, and many more.

Offline harut2K

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2015, 09:32:42 am »

Sorry mr.Admin