Author Topic: processing of template header  (Read 4265 times)

Offline J0N0

• Single posting newcomer
processing of template header
« on: December 15, 2015, 05:25:50 am »
Hi...

If i create a template header named, say, 'moronic.i' in a project that includes a file 'moronic.cpp', C::B corrupts/deletes the cpp file.

swig -c++ -lua  -o C:\CB\moronic.cpp C:\CB\moronic.i

regardless, the include processing is broken, with the error

Execution of 'swig -c++ -lua  -o C:\CB\moronic.cpp C:\CB\moronic.i' in 'C:\CB' failed.

I don't want to dis C::B cos it is very handy sometimes, but there is another gripe.  Why is cut/copy/paste buried in a secondary 'edit' menu?¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿?

Cheers,
Jono

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
Re: processing of template header
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2015, 08:40:30 am »
Hm, please try to explain your problem with more details.
At the moment it is not clear what it is, because there are details that you've not mentioned and you think we can infer.

For the edit: Because there are many menu items in the context menu. Use the shortcuts.
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline scarphin

• Lives here!
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2015, 01:06:12 pm »
I've never seen .i used as an extension to anything related to C/C++, maybe you should consider changing it to something else like .hpp, .hh, .h++. Nevertheless, your problem is a custom compilation defined for the extension .i in settings->compiler->pick your compiler->other settings tab->advanced options->commands tab->extensions list. Delete the entry for i and you'll be fine.

@obfuscated: Why not remove all the edit menu from the context menu?

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2015, 09:38:30 pm »
Because some people use them, some don't and use some other menu items.
We can't remove anything from this menu before we have made it possible for people to rearrange it using some UI.
Until then the menu is what it is. If there is someone willing to do this job, I'll be happy to review the patch/es.
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline J0N0

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2015, 01:14:29 am »
For the edit: Because there are many menu items in the context menu. Use the shortcuts.

For me personally, Copy seems more commonly useful than Search at OLOHO...  (whatever OLOHO is)  or DoxyBlocks.

What I should have asked is how to configure the context menu and remove everything except cut, copy and paste... but then rtfm, I suppose!

Cheers

Offline J0N0

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2015, 01:44:20 am »
I've never seen .i used as an extension to anything related to C/C++, maybe you should consider changing it to something else like .hpp, .hh, .h++. Nevertheless, your problem is a custom compilation defined for the extension .i in settings->compiler->pick your compiler->other settings tab->advanced options->commands tab->extensions list. Delete the entry for i and you'll be fine.

Thanks, that's what I was looking for!  Required a restart of C::B to work properly. 

I've always used .i extension for template headers, since they are implementation files but can still be included multiple times in a compilation.

Cheers,
Jono

Offline scarphin

• Lives here!
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2015, 01:56:44 pm »
Because some people use them, some don't and use some other menu items.
We can't remove anything from this menu before we have made it possible for people to rearrange it using some UI.
Until then the menu is what it is. If there is someone willing to do this job, I'll be happy to review the patch/es.
Then maybe mandating to use the shortcuts is not a good idea? I'm quite sure that more than %99 of computer users are familiar with copy & paste (maybe even cut) shortcuts but there are situations when the context menu is faster and cb's edit submenu is not helping with this.

For me personally, Copy seems more commonly useful than Search at OLOHO...  (whatever OLOHO is)  or DoxyBlocks.
Absolutely.

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2015, 11:33:53 pm »
Then maybe mandating to use the shortcuts is not a good idea? I'm quite sure that more than %99 of computer users are familiar with copy & paste (maybe even cut) shortcuts but there are situations when the context menu is faster and cb's edit submenu is not helping with this.
I'm not saying that it is a good idea for all users. I'm just presenting the option as they are at the current moment.
Before we have a way to make the menu customizable nothing is added/moved/removed from the menu.