Author Topic: When is the next version coming out?  (Read 51663 times)

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
Re: When is the next version coming out?
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2015, 12:43:04 pm »
If you're interested in C::B getting better for you and your workflows then this is the only way it is going to happen. You have to get a little involved.
There is nothing holding the release, just we have to do it. There are no blocker issue and so on. And to give you a hint - it will work like the latest night builds, it won't be magically better.

About VS 2010. Are you surprised? The VS team is probably 100+ people working on it as their main job. The funny thing is that C::B is better in some aspects (better projects, some integrated editor features).
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2015, 01:36:07 pm »
If you want to help, grab a night build and report any problems that affect your workflow, otherwise just wait for the next release.

That's directly throwing the responsibility to me (and any users).
That's community driven development, accept it or stop whining.

"If you don't do anything, sorry, we can't finish the next release version." Well you know what, I don't need it. I'm using mainly Visual Studio (free version) and it's no wonder why. Even the ancient 2010 version is better than current Code::Blocks.
So my suggestion, just shut-up and stop trolling here.

Offline frithjofh

• Regular
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2015, 04:53:12 pm »
++jens
architect with some spare time  -  c::b compiled from last svn  -   openSuSE leap x86_64  -  AMD FX-4100

Offline Pecan

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2015, 06:05:02 pm »
The previous comment += 1;

Offline Krice

• Almost regular
« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2015, 08:16:58 pm »
That's community driven development, accept it or stop whining.

Really. I thought C::B developers were a team of programmers? By the way, who gets the donations of this project? In some cases open source projects can get a substantial amount of money in donations, but some people never see any of it, even they can give a lot of their time and effort for the project. Not only that, you are asking people to help, in fact demanding that. I wouldn't exactly call that an equal community.

Offline Folco

• Regular
    • Folco's blog (68k lover)
« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2015, 09:52:57 pm »
Oh my god, how you Krice are afflicting...
You don't have to love C::B, but if you don't like it, just don't use it and stop trolling the devs, they have something else to do instead of answering your nastiness.
You could just shut up, considering the huge amount of free work contributed by the main devs and other people, across the years.
And if you're not happy with C::B, just write your own...

I hadn't read something so deplorable since a long time...
Kernel Extremist - PedroM power ©

Offline scarphin

• Lives here!
« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2015, 10:06:23 pm »
I hadn't read something so deplorable since a long time...
I second that.

Offline raynebc

• Almost regular
« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2015, 02:53:23 am »
If you want to help, grab a night build and report any problems that affect your workflow, otherwise just wait for the next release.

That's directly throwing the responsibility to me (and any users).
No, that's saying bugs get fixed faster when users participate in the testing process.  Otherwise developers only have the possibility of fixing bugs they themselves discover.  It's perfectly clear you really have no clue how no/low-budget code development works, and if you're just going to complain instead of be helpful or at least silent you might as well just go away because if it's not obvious to you yet, nobody that puts real work/testing into this project appreciates your whinging.

Offline Krice

• Almost regular
« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2015, 10:45:56 am »
It's perfectly clear you really have no clue how no/low-budget code development works

Developers decide how it works. If you as a programmer also check out how the program works you are doing the testing and it's perfectly possible. I've done it myself. Some developers just think it's ok to let the users find bugs. This has been I think a problem even in commercial development. Just think of almost all modern PC games which are by default released with tons of bugs, which then are patched when players complain about them. I think it's not ok. You should check out your own stuff before releasing it. It's not that hard.

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2015, 12:36:23 pm »
Krice: What do you want to achieve with your posts?
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline Krice

• Almost regular
« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2015, 12:56:21 pm »
Krice: What do you want to achieve with your posts?

World peace? I'm not trying to achieve anything, these are just my opinions about this situation where the last version was released two years ago. I'm just wondering and it doesn't help if you keep arguing that it's all because no one is testing the software. Isn't there a lot of people using night builds?

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2015, 03:48:27 pm »
Sorry but we're not arguing that the release is not happening because no one is testing it.
It is not released, because we've not released it. And we'll release it when we decide to release it.  8)

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #42 on: November 08, 2015, 07:17:31 pm »
By the way, who gets the donations of this project?
I can tell you that we don't get much. The donation we get (however) do usually not even cover the costs for server and hosting.

However, instead of donations what we get more often is posts like yours. This is helpful and makes us wish to work even harder for free, as you can imagine. Thank you.

For now it is as simple as we didn't manage / find the time to do a next release although its in the planning since August. Period.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 07:19:47 pm by MortenMacFly »
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline cacb

• Lives here!
« Reply #43 on: November 08, 2015, 07:25:44 pm »
I can tell you that we don't get much. The donation we get (however) do usually not even cover the costs for server and hosting.

This thread reminded me to send a small donation. Thanks for your work, guys.

Offline teto

• Almost regular
« Reply #44 on: November 08, 2015, 08:31:14 pm »
However, instead of donations what we get more often is posts like yours. This is helpful and makes us wish to work even harder for free, as you can imagine. Thank you.
I hope it is some kind of humor :) at least on the nighlties forum I feel the community constructive and thankful for your work. I know I am so let me say thanks again for your time and I believe more people think that way rather than krice's. All the bugs I reported were fixed quite fast. I want to thank everyone and especially obfuscated and jen's for their repo/help.

Keep up the good work and I am looking forward the day neovim gets embedded into codeblocks :) (sorry I didn't mean to finish on a troll :) )
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 08:37:03 pm by teto »