User forums > Announcements

When is the next version coming out?

<< < (3/10) > >>

stahta01:

--- Quote from: MortenMacFly on August 28, 2015, 01:18:50 pm ---
--- Quote from: Easior Lars on August 28, 2015, 07:34:01 am ---I'm afraid that I can't commit and merge any modification in local repository when I use subversion.

--- End quote ---
If that is the major advantage you would like to achieve then why don't you simply make a GIT clone of the SVN repo using git-svn?

--- End quote ---

On windows it can take a long time on a slow machine; when I started doing it. It was normal to take more than 36 hours.
But, I am now dual booting windows (with Debian 8 ) and it takes much less time to do all the svn2git steps on Linux and just clone my repo on windows.
Takes less than 2 hours of work on Windows.

My Git Repo is here https://github.com/stahta01/codeblocks_svn2git_metadata

Tim S.

teto:
I don't know for others but I've stopped visiting/downloading from Sourceforge due to these events. Even before that, the site looks bloated with ads, and the interface old ("bad" old) IMO.
I've never worked much with SVN because it was so hard to work with, any merge failed and the necessity to have an internet connection was pretty bad. Then I discovered git and never looked back: better merging  (surely subversion improved that during the past 4/5 years I've not used it) and being able to play with commits/branches locally, having different remotes to allow for private and public patches etc... is just mandatory for big patches.

I also find the github workflow very good.

--- Quote ---If that is the major advantage you would like to achieve then why don't you simply make a GIT clone of the SVN repo using git-svn?

--- End quote ---
git-hg works but I wonder how fares git-svn, I imagine the backends are very different.

--- Quote ---And btw: In 95% of the cases we have to modify the patch because the C::B style is not followed or the change is buggy

--- End quote ---
In nearly all projects I know, the uploader has to fix his patch himself. I believe this is a good approach as it makes future contribtuions more likely (and with github, updating the patch does not clutter communications, you usually just force a  push and github notifies that the PR has been updated).

oBFusCATed:
Why do you care for svn merges, when contributing to cb?

Also there are several git clones of the svn repo, you can use them to contribute.
The only requirement are:
1. keep your branches rebase-able, so they can be integrated in the main repo.
2. post pull-request here or in the issue tracker on sf.net, not github, so everybody can see them.

I agree that the recent practices of sf.net are a bit alarming...

p.s. This is my git clone of the main repo https://github.com/obfuscated/codeblocks_sf, it is kept up to date manually and this is the only repo I use, so it is known to be working.

MortenMacFly:
To summarise: You can choose between GIT and SVN. Pick your favourite and start contributing! :-)

Krice:

--- Quote from: oBFusCATed on August 12, 2015, 01:26:21 am ---Development hasn't stopped. Just there is no official release.
--- End quote ---

Why not? Is the development version so buggy that it can't be released? This is getting on my nerves.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version