Author Topic: Modification causes program to crash  (Read 5763 times)

Offline zachris

• Single posting newcomer
Modification causes program to crash
« on: April 14, 2015, 03:51:47 pm »
I am running Code::Blocks version 13.12 rev 9501 on MyOperatingSystem
Windows7. The compiler I use is MinGW32 (the one that installed with Code::Blocks)

When I ...

I have a set of code that use to compile and run. But now, it compiles but does not run. I do not know why.

Description of problem.
I can copy a old (backup version) of the code to my programming directory. I load this project into Code::Blocks and it compiles and runs just fine. However, if I modify anything in the code (such as merely adding a comment) the code will compile, but the program will not run.

I am new to Code::Blocks (been using it for about 2 weeks without problems as I develop this program). The problem I describe started yesterday morning.

I accept that this is probably a problem with how I am using Code::Blocks, but I cannot think of anything that I am doing differently today from what I was doing last week. If there is something on the wiki, or this forum, that describes this problem I have not found it (perhaps because the description of the problem defies a simple title).

Build log for when  the program compiles and but does not run:

-------------- Clean: Debug in test (compiler: GNU GCC Compiler)---------------

Cleaned "test - Debug"

-------------- Build: Debug in test (compiler: GNU GCC Compiler)---------------

mingw32-g++.exe -Wall -fexceptions -g -march=corei7-avx -O3 -Wfloat-equal -Wmissing-include-dirs -Wswitch-enum -std=c++11 -Wfatal-errors -Wall -IC:\GnuWin32\include -c "D:\__GNU analyze\biomechanics.cpp" -o obj\Debug\biomechanics.o
mingw32-g++.exe -Wall -fexceptions -g -march=corei7-avx -O3 -Wfloat-equal -Wmissing-include-dirs -Wswitch-enum -std=c++11 -Wfatal-errors -Wall -IC:\GnuWin32\include -c "D:\__GNU analyze\CommonFunctions.cpp" -o obj\Debug\CommonFunctions.o
mingw32-g++.exe -Wall -fexceptions -g -march=corei7-avx -O3 -Wfloat-equal -Wmissing-include-dirs -Wswitch-enum -std=c++11 -Wfatal-errors -Wall -IC:\GnuWin32\include -c "D:\__GNU analyze\InputOutput.cpp" -o obj\Debug\InputOutput.o
mingw32-g++.exe -Wall -fexceptions -g -march=corei7-avx -O3 -Wfloat-equal -Wmissing-include-dirs -Wswitch-enum -std=c++11 -Wfatal-errors -Wall -IC:\GnuWin32\include -c "D:\__GNU analyze\LocalError.cpp" -o obj\Debug\LocalError.o
mingw32-g++.exe -Wall -fexceptions -g -march=corei7-avx -O3 -Wfloat-equal -Wmissing-include-dirs -Wswitch-enum -std=c++11 -Wfatal-errors -Wall -IC:\GnuWin32\include -c "D:\__GNU analyze\main.cpp" -o obj\Debug\main.o
D:\__GNU analyze\main.cpp:54:1: warning: "/*" within comment [-Wcomment]
mingw32-g++.exe -Wall -fexceptions -g -march=corei7-avx -O3 -Wfloat-equal -Wmissing-include-dirs -Wswitch-enum -std=c++11 -Wfatal-errors -Wall -IC:\GnuWin32\include -c "D:\__GNU analyze\mathvalues.cpp" -o obj\Debug\mathvalues.o
mingw32-g++.exe -Wall -fexceptions -g -march=corei7-avx -O3 -Wfloat-equal -Wmissing-include-dirs -Wswitch-enum -std=c++11 -Wfatal-errors -Wall -IC:\GnuWin32\include -c "D:\__GNU analyze\Matrix.cpp" -o obj\Debug\Matrix.o
D:\__GNU analyze\Matrix.cpp: In function 'void SVD(const Matrix&, Matrix&, Matrix&, Matrix&)':
D:\__GNU analyze\Matrix.cpp:1988:36: warning: comparing floating point with == or != is unsafe [-Wfloat-equal]
D:\__GNU analyze\Matrix.cpp:2057:14: warning: comparing floating point with == or != is unsafe [-Wfloat-equal]
mingw32-g++.exe -Wall -fexceptions -g -march=corei7-avx -O3 -Wfloat-equal -Wmissing-include-dirs -Wswitch-enum -std=c++11 -Wfatal-errors -Wall -IC:\GnuWin32\include -c "D:\__GNU analyze\readwritedata.cpp" -o obj\Debug\readwritedata.o
mingw32-g++.exe -Wall -fexceptions -g -march=corei7-avx -O3 -Wfloat-equal -Wmissing-include-dirs -Wswitch-enum -std=c++11 -Wfatal-errors -Wall -IC:\GnuWin32\include -c "D:\__GNU analyze\Statistics.cpp" -o obj\Debug\Statistics.o
mingw32-g++.exe -LD:\GnuWin32\lib -o bin\Debug\test.exe obj\Debug\biomechanics.o obj\Debug\CommonFunctions.o obj\Debug\InputOutput.o obj\Debug\LocalError.o obj\Debug\main.o obj\Debug\mathvalues.o obj\Debug\Matrix.o obj\Debug\readwritedata.o obj\Debug\Statistics.o   C:\GnuWin32\lib\libgsl.a C:\GnuWin32\lib\libgsl.dll.a C:\GnuWin32\lib\libgslcblas.a C:\GnuWin32\lib\libgslcblas.dll.a
Output file is bin\Debug\test.exe with size 2.57 MB
Process terminated with status 0 (0 minute(s), 15 second(s))
0 error(s), 3 warning(s) (0 minute(s), 15 second(s))

-------------- Run: Debug in test (compiler: GNU GCC Compiler)---------------

Checking for existence: D:\__GNU analyze\test\bin\Debug\test.exe
Executing: "C:\CodeBlocks/cb_console_runner.exe" "D:\__GNU analyze\test\bin\Debug\test.exe"  (in D:\__GNU analyze\test\.)

Crash report:
The program fails to run, with the following statement:
Process returned -107374195 (0xC000001d)   execution time: 3.682 s

I have already tried ...
List of attempted solutions.
... but none of them worked.

I have an old version of the code that I copy entirely into my “programming” directory. This version of the code will compile and run just fine. However, if I modify anything – even adding a comment – the code will compile, but fail to run.

Offline scarphin

• Lives here!
Re: Modification causes program to crash
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2015, 04:40:36 pm »
Did you try to run the compiled executable from the command line (cmd.exe)? Does it work when run from the command line?

Offline zachris

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2015, 04:58:46 pm »
Yes, it compiles and runs from the command line.

This is the way I am progressing with the program. But having to go to the command line to compile and run defeats the purpose of an IDE.

Offline stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2015, 05:22:21 pm »
Yes, it compiles and runs from the command line.

This is the way I am progressing with the program. But having to go to the command line to compile and run defeats the purpose of an IDE.

Did you use the exact some options?

EDIT: Most people never use these two options "-g"  "-O3" at the same time.

Tim S.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 05:24:57 pm by stahta01 »
C Programmer working to learn more about C++ and Git.
On Windows 7 64 bit and Windows 10 64 bit.
--
When in doubt, read the CB WiKi FAQ. http://wiki.codeblocks.org

Offline zachris

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2015, 05:37:48 pm »
I am not sure if I used the same options. I do not know how to set them in Code::Blocks.

However, since I do not know how to alter them I am fairly sure that I did not change options within Code::Blocks.

Still, this compiling and running from the command line does not explain why I was able to compile and run before, but now can seemingly compile but cannot run (or only run in a way that causes a crash).

Offline stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2015, 05:45:08 pm »
THE BAD OPTIONS DID NOT SET THEMSELVES!!!

Learn how to use your Tools! Its a poor worker who blames their tools for their problems.

Tim S.
--

Offline osdt

• Multiple posting newcomer
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2015, 06:01:01 pm »
I can copy a old (backup version) of the code to my programming directory. I load this project into Code::Blocks and it compiles and runs just fine.

Maybe you're running the old (backup) executable?

mingw32-g++.exe -Wall -fexceptions -g -march=corei7-avx -O3 -Wfloat-equal -Wmissing-include-dirs -Wswitch-enum -std=c++11 -Wfatal-errors -Wall -IC:\GnuWin32\include -c "D:\__GNU analyze\biomechanics.cpp" -o obj\Debug\biomechanics.o
Process returned -107374195 (0xC000001d)   execution time: 3.682 s

The error-code could be caused by an unhandled exception (illegal instruction?). Does your CPU support AVX instructions? If not, remove the option '-march=corei7-avx' (and -O3 for debug builds).

Offline zachris

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2015, 06:18:15 pm »
I'm not running an old backup executable -- I do not back up the executable.

My CPU does support AVX instructions, and this option has been in place for both the working a non-working versions of the code. Nonetheless, I tried switching off that option. It does not make a difference in the outcome.

The bottom line here is that I do not (did not) change anything with CodeBlocks. I merely edited the program code and even removed the edits. The code then compiles, but the program does not run.

Offline BlueHazzard

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2015, 07:15:12 pm »
what was your exact command when you compiled it with command line, so that it worked?

Offline stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2015, 02:06:18 am »
what was your exact command when you compiled it with command line, so that it worked?

FYI: They are likely linking to very old binary that might NOT work with a newer version of MinGW GCC.
11 July 2006
From http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/gsl.htm

Tim S.
--