Author Topic: Nightly build extracted over RC2 problem  (Read 4774 times)

royalbox

Nightly build extracted over RC2 problem
« on: January 13, 2006, 04:54:15 pm »
I've been using RC2 since it was released. I keep reading "try the nightly builds" or similar when people have problems. I thought I'd try one. 12th January 2006.
I just extracted the lot into the codeblocks folder, which I backed up first. I also downloaded the extra dll wxmsw26u_gcc_cb.dll.

I get an entry point error on startup
_ZN14MessageManager3LogEPKcz could not be located in codeblocks.dll

The other problem I have is that the import/export menu item seems to have gone. How can I import my custom compiler and other custom settings?

Many thanks for any help.

Offline killerbot

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: Nightly build extracted over RC2 problem
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2006, 05:29:39 pm »
I would not mix the 2 of them (RC2 and nightly).

Just put the Nightly in a separate directory. You can then either manual install (see wiki) MingW GCC or tell the nightly (in case it can not detect it) to use the GCC from RC2 or another one (in case you have another on).

I prefer a manual MingW for example in c:\mingw.

Lieven

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2006, 05:57:04 pm »
Extracting a nightly build over RC2 is a CML condition, never do that.
Well, it's too late now anyway, so the best thing you can probably do is delete the share folder, all dlls, and the application and unpack the nightly build again. If that fails again, remove the Code::Blocks folder as a whole and start over.

The error message probably comes from a plugin that fails to load since it links against the old version's dll (if nothing else is wrong). Be aware that a lot nastier things can happen too, though (for example unexpected crashes because resources are invalid). So, really... never mix up different versions.

There is unfortunately no way to convert RC2 settings to later releases. Not only do they use a different storage system (this would be the least problem), but the structure and naming is widely different, too.
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

royalbox

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2006, 06:38:16 pm »
Thanks for the answers, I have it working now. I copied mingwm10.dll from RC2 to the nightly folder.

I use the MS tookit 2003 compiler, so I'm not sure why I still need any MinGW files at all.

Thanks for your help.

Offline tiwag

• Developer
  • Lives here!
  • sailing away ...
    • tiwag.cb
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2006, 06:53:11 pm »
... why I still need any MinGW files at all.
because C::B is compiled with mingw gcc :)

royalbox

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2006, 07:34:30 pm »
Ah, I see now. Thanks.
I only started learning this programming lark last year, still a lot to learn.