Author Topic: trouble with resource files in beta6  (Read 8495 times)

rob

trouble with resource files in beta6
« on: March 22, 2005, 05:34:35 pm »
I am using the free MS compilerkit on CB beta6, and after upgrading form beta5, my ressourcefiles do not work anymore. The ressourcefiles get propperly compiled (i can open them in MS Visual Studio) but I suspect they dont get linked into the exe. Is there any place  in the IDE where anything related to resource files needs to be configured ? Or has anybody an idea what culd have gone wrong ?

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
    • Code::Blocks IDE
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2005, 06:04:31 pm »
This happened because the compiler commands have changed since beta5. If you had uninstalled beta5 first (cleaning the configuration when asked) and then install beta6, this wouldn't have happened. Of course how could you know since I didn't mention it  :roll:

To fix this, either uninstall and then re-install (suggested because this will fix other changed settings too) or do the following:

Go to advanced compiler options for VC toolkit compiler, and change the command for "Linking object files to executable" to
Code
$linker /nologo $libdirs /out:$exe_output $libs $link_objects $link_resobjects $link_options

(add $link_resobjects)

HTH,
Yiannis.
Be patient!
This bug will be fixed soon...

rob

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2005, 06:07:34 pm »
just have taken a look at the properties of a resourcefile of a sample project which I just created to sortout that resource-file-problem. The resourcefile ("res.rc") I just added to the project. The (General) properties show that the file should get compiled and linked. The advanced properties show "WINDRES" as Compiler Variable. This looks kind of strange to me, because I am using the MS Toolkit and in the Gobal Compiler Settings, I have "rc.exe" as Resource Compiler.
Nobody else using the MS Toolkit having problems with ressource Files since beta6 ??

regards
Roberto

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2005, 06:10:55 pm »
The advanced properties show "WINDRES" as Compiler Variable

This is just a macro, it's not the actual windres.exe! It will be substituted by the appropriate executable on compile-time...

Nobody else using the MS Toolkit having problems with ressource Files since beta6 ??

Have you read my post above?

Yiannis.
Be patient!

rob

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2005, 07:09:52 pm »
Thanks very much, I did as you sugested above, unistalled/reinstalled and then everything worked fine. Your answer was so quick, I was still adding stuff to my question ! Well I am very happy with CodeBlocks so far, I think I am going to put my Visual Studio License on eBay, maybe some stupid one will pay 1 $ for it. I have an even better idea: everyone using codeblocks should do that and donate the money to codeblocks !

The only ugly thing about uninstalling/reinstalling:  I had choosen to delete all settings (was that nessessary ?) and because I had defined all the regular Win32 libs in the global compiler settings (makes sense, not ?), I had to redifine them again, one by one. Does there exist a smarter way to handle that, in regard to beta7 ?

regards
rob

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2005, 08:12:29 pm »
I had choosen to delete all settings (was that nessessary ?)

That was the point, unfortunately...
As a matter of fact, you could have avoided the uninstall/reinstall cycle, if I explained it better. You could launch codeblocks with the command line argument "--clear-configuration" (this is what the uninstaller does).

Does there exist a smarter way to handle that, in regard to beta7

There should be ;)

Yiannis.
Be patient!