Developer forums (C::B DEVELOPMENT STRICTLY!) > Contributions to C::B

Using CTags as main parser

<< < (6/6)

eranif:
For keeping the GUI tree up-to-date, I used the following logic:

- The main thread is creating a parser-thread that waits and wakes up every interval
- Once a new workspace is opened, a parsing of all the workspace files is done by the main thread - like in the example
- The editor, (I dont know c::b much, but i guess it uses scintilla) whenever the text is modified (can be caught in SCN_MOFIIED) - puts the text of the current modified file in map which is a pair of <project/fileName> & data, (e.g. let say you have project name prj1 and the file name is main.cpp, the key for the map is prj1/main.cpp and the value in the map is the file data)
- The parser thread wakes up, locks the map - and copy the content of the map to a local map - so the lock is free ASAP
- It then reads from the db all the entries belongs to project + file name 'select * from table where project='prj1' and file='main.cpp')
- It calls ctags to parse the modified file data retrieved from the map
- It preforms 'diff' on the two sets of results: the modified file results returned from ctags vs. the values from the db (sqlite)
- An array of all modified entries is created and sent by the parser thread to the class-view GUI object (wxTreeCtrl) using wxPostEvent() call

In this way the on-going working is not interrupted by the parsing process, the db is always up-to date and consistent.

Btw, the current parsing can handle the following:
Typedefs, enums, namespace, class (including templates), vars, structs, unions, defines and functions

I did it in windows since i work with VC7.1 - I dont think that there is a problem to port it to linux (I am not using MFC, WINAPI or anything similar that can limit the code) - I simply like VC71 so I work with it.

Eran

afterain:
- It does not show how to get the current function class name from cursor location (like the two combo boxes in VC71 located on top of the file)
I think maybe we can generate a tags file for current file. And we know line of cursor. then we find nearest function's start line. if line of cursor between function's start line and function's end line, we find it.
- It does not suggest members/functions list
I get readtags.c and readtags.h from ctags, readtags is very fast -- "Even for an unsorted 24MB tag file, tag searches take about one second."
It can over tags file and can get all informations(field/class/line etc.) of every entry. If we want to list wxWindow's  members/functions, we can do it by "class" field. If "class" field is same with "wxWindow", then this member/function can add to list.
- It does not show how to parse local scope (ctags cant parse local variables, this is where my internal parser come to help - lex.yy.cpp & USCPPScanner )
Ctags can parse local variables. like this "ctags --C++-kinds=+l --C-kinds=+l -R". You can use "ctags --list-kinds", it will list all tag kinds for all language. field "l" mean local variable.
Example:
test.cpp
int main()
{
   int i;
   wxWindow a;
   a.test(i);
}

void ttse()
{
   bool b;
   map<int, int> t