Developer forums (C::B DEVELOPMENT STRICTLY!) > Contributions to C::B

Using CTags as main parser

(1/6) > >>

eranif:
Hi,

I was browsing your forums when I saw that you are not using CTags for tagging your files, but rather wrote your in-house parser.

My question is why not using Ctags? It supports over 30 languages, parses hunders of files in seconds ... and it is very reliable.

For an IDE I wrote, I implemented a mechanism that works as follows:

- A thread is created in the main frame - the ClassViewThread
- Every interval the thread is scanning all modified files - the results are stored in an SQLite database.
- If the GUI tree is not updated with the new parsing - an event is sent to the ClassView object to update its data (the event contains the differeneces between the old files data and the new data)

What do you think? I will be happy to contribute the code if you want

Eran

mandrav:
Eran,

the in-house parser was written for things that ctags cannot help you with (like parsing local function variables, function arguments, etc).
Although, lately I cannot work on it because the amount of work needed for the rest of the project is too much to leave me spare time for the parser...

So, if you want to contribute a code-completion plugin that would use ctags, please do :)
Many people will be happy.
This should help you get started: http://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=Creating_a_simple_%22Hello_World%22_plugin

eranif:
I know CTags does not handle local vars, However, the code I said I will be happy to contribute uses also a lexer + written with flex language to analyze a current scope (small scope, the main parsing is done via CTags)

Anyway, I will have a look at the link you gave

Eran

mandrav:

--- Quote from: eranif on January 06, 2006, 03:10:10 pm ---I know CTags does not handle local vars, However, the code I said I will be happy to contribute uses also a lexer + written with flex language to analyze a current scope (small scope, the main parsing is done via CTags)

--- End quote ---

That's interesting :)

Michael:

--- Quote from: eranif on January 06, 2006, 02:36:42 pm ---- Every interval the thread is scanning all modified files - the results are stored in an SQLite database.

--- End quote ---

I find the use of a database an interesting choice to store data :). SQLite seems to me enough light-weight and cross-platform to be used within C::B. Anyway, if C::B would integrate SQLite (or any other embedded database), this would make C::B dependent of SQLite, which is not IMHO forcely positive. Burden could be added with UNICODE, Windows, Linux and other OSs support,...

Michael

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version