User forums > General (but related to Code::Blocks)

How good is CodeBlocks?

<< < (2/2)

windowsmaniac:
Hi,

yes, CodeBlocks is more than good enough for a start in game development. Good luck and have fun with it!

stahta01:

--- Quote from: Codeboy1990 on November 18, 2020, 03:14:52 pm ---Is it better to use it on windows, linux or mac os ?

--- End quote ---

I would say Mac OS is the worst of the three by a long shoot.

Windows and Linux is very close; but, most of the Devs seem to be Linux so it might be the better choice.

Tim S.

Krice:

--- Quote from: BlueHazzard on January 31, 2014, 10:42:27 am ---My personal opinion is that you should learn the basics of the build process before you start with a ide.
--- End quote ---

Well, in C++'s case warning flags and other compiler settings are something you want to know, but wasn't IDE invented to get away with the whole build process in the first place? It is after all the biggest difference compared to a plain text editor and more "traditional" build process.

stahta01:

--- Quote from: Krice on July 04, 2021, 05:33:13 pm ---
--- Quote from: BlueHazzard on January 31, 2014, 10:42:27 am ---My personal opinion is that you should learn the basics of the build process before you start with a ide.
--- End quote ---

Well, in C++'s case warning flags and other compiler settings are something you want to know, but wasn't IDE invented to get away with the whole build process in the first place? It is after all the biggest difference compared to a plain text editor and more "traditional" build process.

--- End quote ---

It is a poor workman whose does not understand their tools.

There are many people who think you should learn how to use the compiler on the command line before first using an IDE.

I think you need to at least know how to understand the build log in the CB IDE.

If you do not understand the difference between an warning and a error you need to learn it!

If you do not understand the difference between compiling and linking you need to learn it.

Tim S.

Krice:

--- Quote from: stahta01 on July 04, 2021, 10:35:14 pm ---It is a poor workman whose does not understand their tools.

There are many people who think you should learn how to use the compiler on the command line before first using an IDE.
--- End quote ---

In this case the tool is the IDE, so why would you need to learn anything else than that? This goes with everything. If you are programming in C++, why would you need to know assembler? You don't need to know it. If you are making art with computer, you don't need to know how to paint with real brushes and oil paints. Etc. Not to say that it's bad to know the details, but it may be something you never need in your workflow.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version