User forums > General (but related to Code::Blocks)

FlowCharts from Source Code

(1/3) > >>

ThomasG:
Hi,

I got a huge project assigned for maintenance. In order to get an idea what is going on, I would like to chart out the project or at least parts of it.

Can you guys give some advices? Maybe some software packages that can do the job?

Thanks,
Thomas

Michael:
Hello,

Did you try a fast Google search :)? For example this is what I get.

Michael

ThomasG:
Hi,

yes I did a search on google. I even tried most of these programs. But so far I couldn't find one that is really satisfying. The programs are either limited in functionality or are very expensive. Now I'm curious if these kind of tools are even used by open source developer. Since I couldn't find any open source solution I'm tempted to say it's not a commonly used tool.

Maybe you guys can point out methods on how get a grip on unknown programs/source code.

Thanks in advance.

Thomas

Ceniza:
If the program is well structured and designed it should just be a matter of reading comments and follow the code, if that isn't the case it'll just be a nightmare, even with a flowchart.

ThomasG:
Yeah, you are right, unfurtunately it's "structured" in a way only the original programmer can understand what's going on because he programmed it over the last 20 years.

I guess there is only the hard way of trial and error to figure out the source code and the refactor it.

Thanks,
Thomas

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version