Author Topic: bitwise operation on enum types  (Read 21602 times)

Offline ollydbg

• Developer
  • Lives here!
  • OpenCV and Robotics
    • Chinese OpenCV forum moderator
bitwise operation on enum types
« on: November 15, 2013, 03:59:26 pm »
We have enum type definition
Code
enum TokenKind
{
    // changed in order to reflect the priority
    tkNamespace     = 0x0001,
    tkClass         = 0x0002,
    tkEnum          = 0x0004,
    tkTypedef       = 0x0008, // typedefs are stored as classes inheriting from the typedef'd type (taking advantage of existing inheritance code)
    tkConstructor   = 0x0010,
    tkDestructor    = 0x0020,
    tkFunction      = 0x0040,
    tkVariable      = 0x0080,
    tkEnumerator    = 0x0100,
    tkPreprocessor  = 0x0200,
    tkMacro         = 0x0400,

// convenient masks
    tkAnyContainer  = tkClass    | tkNamespace   | tkTypedef,
    tkAnyFunction   = tkFunction | tkConstructor | tkDestructor,

// undefined or just "all"
    tkUndefined     = 0xFFFF
};

But in some cases, we need a mask, like:
Code
Token* TokenExists(const wxString& name, const Token* parent = 0, short int kindMask = 0xFFFF);

Note, here the mask type is: short int, TokenKind is not allowed here, because if you put here, then some code like:

Code
TokenExists(, , tkTypedef | tkClass);

will compiler error, like: error: invalid conversion from 'int' to enum type TokenKind.

There are many discussion:
on enum and bitwise operation
How to use enums as flags in C++?
and more.

So, what's your opinion on this, I think using a TokenKind for the function argument is better.
Do we use:
Code
TokenExists(, , static_cast<TokenKind>(tkTypedef | tkClass));

Or, we can define some bitwise operator like in this post http://stackoverflow.com/a/1448478/154911
Code
enum AnimalFlags
{
    HasClaws = 1,
    CanFly =2,
    EatsFish = 4,
    Endangered = 8
};

inline AnimalFlags operator|(AnimalFlags a, AnimalFlags b)
{return static_cast<AnimalFlags>(static_cast<int>(a) | static_cast<int>(b));}

If some piece of memory should be reused, turn them to variables (or const variables).
If some piece of operations should be reused, turn them to functions.
If they happened together, then turn them to classes.

Offline ollydbg

• Developer
  • Lives here!
  • OpenCV and Robotics
Re: bitwise operation on enum types
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2013, 04:13:44 pm »
I see some code in CC use type conversion, like:
Code
            else if (command == cmdSearchAll)
                tree->FindMatches(args, result, true, false, TokenKind(kindToSearch));
            else
                tree->FindMatches(args, result, true, false, TokenKind(tkAnyContainer|tkEnum));
The function prototype is:
Code
   size_t FindMatches(const wxString& query, TokenIdxSet& result, bool caseSensitive, bool is_prefix, TokenKind kindMask = tkUndefined);
If some piece of memory should be reused, turn them to variables (or const variables).

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2013, 05:01:12 pm »
It is strictly legal for an enumeration value to be a value that is not part of the enumeration definition, as long as it fits the storage size. Therefore, I would just add either an operator| or a conversion operator. Preferrably the former, as it is more type-safe (a conversion operator would totally anihilate the type system, since it converts any integer, not just one composed of enum values);

Something like TokenKind operator|(TokenKind a, TokenKind b) { return (TokenKind) (a|b); } should work.
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2013, 05:46:13 pm »
It is strictly legal for an enumeration value to be a value that is not part of the enumeration definition, as long as it fits the storage size.
Can you quote the standard?

@ollydbg:
I don't see where the problem with using short int parameter is coming from?

This compiles without errors on GCC 4.4
Code
enum TokenKind
{
    // changed in order to reflect the priority
    tkNamespace     = 0x0001,
    tkClass         = 0x0002,
    tkEnum          = 0x0004,
    tkTypedef       = 0x0008, // typedefs are stored as classes inheriting from the typedef'd type (taking advantage of existing inheritance code)
    tkConstructor   = 0x0010,
    tkDestructor    = 0x0020,
    tkFunction      = 0x0040,
    tkVariable      = 0x0080,
    tkEnumerator    = 0x0100,
    tkPreprocessor  = 0x0200,
    tkMacro         = 0x0400,

// convenient masks
    tkAnyContainer  = tkClass    | tkNamespace   | tkTypedef,
    tkAnyFunction   = tkFunction | tkConstructor | tkDestructor,

// undefined or just "all"
    tkUndefined     = 0xFFFF
};

void func(int a, short int b=tkUndefined) {
int c;
c=a+b;
}
int main() {
func(1, tkTypedef | tkClass);
return 0;
}
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline ollydbg

• Developer
  • Lives here!
  • OpenCV and Robotics
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2013, 06:49:36 am »
@OBF
Yes, the code builds OK.
I don't know "short int" has the same sizeof TokenKind.
Currently, the largest enumerator in TokenKind is 0xFFFF (16bit), what about "short int"? People will confused, but when we put TokenKind in the function parameter, they don't worry about different types.

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2013, 10:59:08 am »
They don't worry about different types.
I worry because as far as I know an enumerator type must be assigned only with its values. If you do a cast to assign then it is the same as int.
you can test the size of TokenKind with sizeof. I suppose it will give you 4 bytes, because it is either int or unsigned int.
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2013, 03:03:11 pm »
It is strictly legal for an enumeration value to be a value that is not part of the enumeration definition, as long as it fits the storage size.
Can you quote the standard?
I could, but I won't. That would be 15 or 20 minutes wasted on searching, which is kind of pointless.
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2013, 09:30:52 pm »
There you go, second last sentence of §7.2 par 8:
It is possible to define an enumeration that has values not defined by any of its enumerators.

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2013, 12:55:36 pm »
Hm, if I understand §7.2 par 8 correctly, then you're wrong, because this paragraph explicitly forbids int to enum conversions.

Here is the example taken from the standard:
Code
enum color { red, yellow, green=20, blue };
color col=red; // ok
color c=1; // error - type mismatch, no conversion from int to color
int i=yellow; //ok, yellow converted to integral value 1

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2013, 02:46:53 pm »
That's an implicit conversion. It's illegal, and for a good reason (because it is almost certainly a programming error).
C++11 type-safe enumerations even go one step further and also forbid implicit conversions in the other direction.

The standard also states (one or two paragraphs earlier, I think) that the values of an enumeration are all values in the range between the smallest and largest value defined. In other words, in enum{a, b=500}; any value between 0 and 500 inclusive is well-defined. I believe to remember a wording like "if representable by the underlying storage size" too, although I can't provide a reference for that out of memory.

The wording on the min/max range, if one is pedantic, doesn't include bitwise-or of any enum values (it does include bitwise-or of any but the biggest-log2 values though, or in the case of a bit-flag type of enum, any operation not including the largest value).
That's obvious, since biggest|some_other_value >= biggest. But if one is pedantic, it also doesn't say the opposite, the wording is "the values are", "not all legitimate values are".

Though it explicitly allows almost the exact case you're after, and if the "almost" bit really bothers you, you can always add a bigger value to each enumeration that is twice the value of the otherwise biggest value. Then there is no way someone could claim, even theoretically or in a contrieved case, that this isn't explicitly allowed.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 02:50:10 pm by thomas »