Author Topic: No check-boxes list in custom compiler settings  (Read 5979 times)

Offline eranon

• Almost regular
No check-boxes list in custom compiler settings
« on: November 03, 2013, 03:37:23 pm »
Hello,

I'm under Windows 7 64-bit with several CodeBlocks (the official 12.11, a nightly build that I update sometime, an old SVN built under my previous Windows, an up-to-date SVN to play with, and an SVN of August that I use for my real projects - this last one being slightly patched to allow several toolbars in wxSmith).

I've created two custom compilers settings (both about GCC but with different options) that I've called GCC x86 and GCC x64. Under the official 12.11, these compilers settings show the check-box list in which I can enable/disable the standard options visually. In all others C::B (each being in a separated directory, of course, but sharing the same %appdata% space I guess), I don't see this selectable list, but a simple text field in which I can enter options. And, of course, this same display is visible in the build options of every of my projects.

How to retrieve this visual standard list in all my "installed" Code::Blocks versions ?

I attach two snapshots to show you the good one and the wrong one :

[Independent dev. - wxWidgets 3.0.0 under "Win 7 Pro 64-bit, C::B SVN 9435 & wxSmith, TDM64-GCC 4.7 & MSVC9" + "OS X 10.8, FSF GCC 4.7 & C::B SVN 8909"]

Offline Alpha

• Developer
  • Lives here!
Re: No check-boxes list in custom compiler settings
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 12:30:19 am »
Can you upload your %AppData%\Roaming\CodeBlocks\default.conf?

Offline eranon

• Almost regular
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 05:39:33 am »
Yep ! Here it is :
[Independent dev. - wxWidgets 3.0.0 under "Win 7 Pro 64-bit, C::B SVN 9435 & wxSmith, TDM64-GCC 4.7 & MSVC9" + "OS X 10.8, FSF GCC 4.7 & C::B SVN 8909"]

Offline Alpha

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2013, 03:47:11 am »
Hmm... I am unable to reproduce your exact problem (although, I did find a closely related Linux-only bug while searching).  Can you try the attached patch please?  This patch will try to output "Invalid option: ..." messages into the main log.
Also, does the folder %AppData%\Roaming\CodeBlocks\share\codeblocks\compilers exist?  And if so, what is the content?

Offline eranon

• Almost regular
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2013, 02:25:19 am »
Thanks for your support, Alpha

A Linux-only bug : what's the relationship with my Windows's installs ? However, OK, I'll try your patch with the SVN head.

Under "%AppData%\CodeBlocks\share\codeblocks\compilers" (not "%AppData%\Roaming\CodeBlocks\share\codeblocks\compilers" since %appdata% already points to the roaming directory), I have one file only : options_gcc.xml

Offline Alpha

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2013, 02:57:21 am »
Under "%AppData%\CodeBlocks\share\codeblocks\compilers" (not "%AppData%\Roaming\CodeBlocks\share\codeblocks\compilers" since %appdata% already points to the roaming directory), I have one file only : options_gcc.xml
Delete/remove this file; it is overriding the global one, but for some (unknown) reason was generated empty (you can check, I am fairly certain yours is empty, or nearly empty).  (Code::Blocks will generate this file if you use the GUI to add/remove flags from a compiler, but it sounds like you somehow ended up with an empty one.)

(Oops, seems I have forgotten my Windows environment variable expansions :-\.)

A Linux-only bug : what's the relationship with my Windows's installs ?
None actually; I just noticed it while looking for the cause of your issue.

Offline eranon

• Almost regular
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2013, 05:44:42 am »
I've updated my SVN copy to current SVN head (r9435 ; a commit from you:), then applied your patch : it remains the same.

About the options_gcc.xml : it was neither empty nor small but... But you're right : it solves the issue ;) I attached it with this post if it can help you to understand the blocking point into it.

Apparently, removing this file, I didn't lost my custom settings (unless error, no missing flag, even about winres in advanced settings)...

Thanks again for your reactivity, alpha.

Offline Alpha

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2013, 01:21:04 am »
About the options_gcc.xml : it was neither empty nor small but... But you're right : it solves the issue ;) I attached it with this post if it can help you to understand the blocking point into it.
In looking through, the xml file contained everything it was supposed to contain, except it had no definitions for the available compiler flags.  So definitely the cause of the problem... it is yet to be seen if the reason this faulty config file was generated can be determined.

Offline eranon

• Almost regular
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2013, 03:27:31 pm »
Hmm, do you think it could be because of my use of several C::B in the same system (sharing the same appdata space) ? Well, however, I think I'll remove the old one and nightly, keeping the official binaries (12.11) and a SVN (HEAD) only.