Author Topic: When compilation fails, how can I jump to the line that has the error?  (Read 5171 times)

Offline erezz

• Multiple posting newcomer
Hi,

I'm using version 12.11 on Ubuntu 12.04. I'm compiling my code on a remote machine with a ssh command. This works well.

When compilation fails, I see the error messages in the "Build log" tab and the "Build messages" tab. I would like to be able to double-click (or something similar) the error message and jump directly to the line that caused the compilation error. Is this possible? How? I couldn't google a solution for that.

Thanks,
Erez

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
Re: When compilation fails, how can I jump to the line that has the error?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 12:12:22 pm »
Probably the paths on the remote machine and on the local machine are different and
when you click on the error it tries to open the file using the remote's machine path instead of the path for the local's machine.
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline erezz

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2013, 12:19:02 pm »
Probably the paths on the remote machine and on the local machine are different and
when you click on the error it tries to open the file using the remote's machine path instead of the path for the local's machine.

No, the path on the local machine and the remote machine is exactly the same path.

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, 12:37:05 pm »
Ok, does it work if you compile local project?

And is this a makefile based project?
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

ToApolytoXaos

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2013, 03:36:04 pm »
Hi,

I'm using version 12.11 on Ubuntu 12.04. I'm compiling my code on a remote machine with a ssh command. This works well.

When compilation fails, I see the error messages in the "Build log" tab and the "Build messages" tab. I would like to be able to double-click (or something similar) the error message and jump directly to the line that caused the compilation error. Is this possible? How? I couldn't google a solution for that.

Thanks,
Erez
You mean you are using a secure way to communicate to a remote PC that uses graphical user inteface and you want to access the error line by simply press the error message, am I correct? If yes, this is the default way error log tab works, as I am pressing it myself to take me to the actual <filename>-line:column. To clarify something though, I don't know if this option was added before the release of 12.11, but I always use the latest revision and the latest GCC (currently 4.8.1) as I am compiling it myself if this helps a bit.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 07:24:59 am by ToApolytoXaos »

Offline erezz

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2013, 07:54:52 pm »
Hi,

Thanks,
Erez
You mean you are using a secure way to communicate to a remote PC that uses graphical user inteface and you want to access the error line by simply press the error message, am I correct? If yes, this is the default way error log tab works, as I am pressing it myself to take me to the actual <filename>-line:column. To clarify something though, I don't know if this option was added before the release of 12.11, but I always use the latest revision and the latest GCC (currently 4.8.1) as I am compiling it myself if this helps a bit.

I running a ssh command that executes the make command on a remote machine, no GUI at all on the remote machine.

Was it added after 12.11?

Thanks,
Erez

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2013, 08:11:33 pm »
I running a ssh command that executes the make command on a remote machine, no GUI at all on the remote machine.
So, it seems that you're using makefile based build and not the native build system of codeblocks, aren't you?
Can you post part of the build log which contains some error messages?

Offline erezz

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2013, 09:30:09 am »
Yes, I'm using a makefile based build and not the native build system of codeblocks. I've attached a screenshot of the error messages.

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2013, 10:15:10 am »
Where is your Makefile located?
If it is not next to the cbp file, opening files won't work.