Author Topic: SFML 2.0 Templete i created templete for version 2.0  (Read 18653 times)

Offline hatem.badawi

• Single posting newcomer
SFML 2.0 Templete i created templete for version 2.0
« on: May 01, 2013, 05:43:47 pm »
As the SFML project templete working well with SFML1.6 ... so i modified new templete for SFML2.0 you can download it with installing instructions .

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 05:51:59 pm by hatem.badawi »
Hatem Badawi
Technical Support Operator

Telephone: +2(0111) 6032064
Private Email: hatem.badawi@gmail.com

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: SFML 2.0 Templete i created templete for version 2.0
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 09:03:30 pm »
Thanks for posting this.
I hope sfml-users will download and test the wizard to give us feedback, so it might get added to our sources.

I removed the link to your company from your signature and your profile.
Advertisements for commercial products or companies are not allowed in our forum, sorry.

Be aware that not only human users, but also spam-bots might read our forum, so having your clear text email and phone-number in the signature is probably not really good.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 09:06:58 pm by jens »

Offline hatem.badawi

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 04:28:44 am »
thanks  :D
Hatem Badawi

Offline ptDev

• Almost regular
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2013, 10:03:29 pm »
Inspired by hatem.badawi's effort, I have also modified the SFML wizard to provide more options.

It allows to choose between SFML 1.6 and 2.0, and to link statically or dynamically.
I also updated the logo and wizard banner to use the new logo from the revamped website.

To try it out, just go to the folder where Code::Blocks is installed, go to share\CodeBlocks\templates\wizard, and replace the sfml folder with the one from the attached zip file.

Offline hatem.badawi

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2013, 10:46:44 pm »
i will try it tomorrow and give you my feedback .... nice idea to make the static and the dynamic linking as a choice .
Hatem Badawi

Offline hatem.badawi

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2013, 12:41:21 pm »
really nice work ptDev i add it to code::blocks and from now on i will just use your edition  ;D
thanks
Hatem Badawi

Offline Seronis

• Almost regular
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2013, 06:38:40 am »
Thank you for the updated wizard

Offline Alpha

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2013, 04:03:08 am »
Most of the time, the debug files are not installed with the library; is it wise to force the standard user to figure out how to resolve their Debug target for sfml-*-d and/or sfml-*-s-d ?  Linking against debug libs is normally only used (at least, normally in my opinion) when you are trying to debug the library itself (which is unlikely to be the case for the standard user), not the application.

Offline ptDev

• Almost regular
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2013, 01:41:22 pm »
Don't you want to use the debug build of the library to be able to debug the state of the objects that the library exports? You always get more information, which you can use.

The distributed SFML package including binaries also has the binaries for the debug build. I doubt they would be distributed unless the authors suspected users might find them useful.

You also use the corresponding debug build for wxWidgets in its project wizard.

As a habit where I work, we link to debug builds for any third party libraries that provide it and/or the source. For the ones that don't... nothing we can do there.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 01:43:05 pm by ptDev »

Offline Alpha

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2013, 04:28:11 pm »
Don't you want to use the debug build of the library to be able to debug the state of the objects that the library exports? You always get more information, which you can use.
More information, yes, but useful information?  For me, most of the time not.  I rarely have need to step into a foreign library; my normal use case is to only need to identify my program's entry and exit points/conditions to libraries.

The distributed SFML package including binaries also has the binaries for the debug build. I doubt they would be distributed unless the authors suspected users might find them useful.
Building the source by default only created the release binaries.  Using apt-get by default does not acquire the debug files.

However, the wxWidgets wizard also checks if the files exist, and gives the option to link against release binaries if the debug ones are not available.

As a habit where I work, we link to debug builds for any third party libraries that provide it and/or the source. For the ones that don't... nothing we can do there.
I do not yet program in the professional workplace, so perhaps I am lacking on some practical experience...

Offline ptDev

• Almost regular
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2013, 09:28:37 pm »
Building the source by default only created the release binaries.  Using apt-get by default does not acquire the debug files.

I was referring to the Windows binary packages, which contain the debug libs. Is there no easy way to compile debug libs, if one is so inclined?

However, the wxWidgets wizard also checks if the files exist, and gives the option to link against release binaries if the debug ones are not available.

Good point. Maybe the same fallback option should be available in the SFML wizard.

Offline Alpha

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2013, 10:45:18 pm »
Is there no easy way to compile debug libs, if one is so inclined?
Compiling debug is easy, just not default, so a user who does not specifically think to build them likely will not.

Offline Alpha

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2013, 04:37:24 am »
On Ubuntu (and I assume most other Linux systems as well) debug libraries are not named how they are on Windows: see here.  I will write a detection-fallback routine for Windows, and simply skip trying to link to debug on Linux.