Author Topic: Is it possible to debugging executables not compiled with code::blocks ?  (Read 25527 times)

Offline advance-software

• Multiple posting newcomer
>  setup you executable paths and then disable the option "Settings -> Debugger -> auto build project if it is not up to data"

"Settings -> Debugger -> auto build project is a global setting so I'd have to remember to switch this on/off as I switch projects. That might work but it's not a good solution.

So it's time to enter makefile hell ... yay.

The point is rather than everyone figuring their way around a quirky system, a more intuitive interface will make support easier and the product better.  If your motivation is just to add the stuff you need/use, that's fair enough I suppose. Such is free software ...

update :

>  setup you executable paths and then disable the option "Settings -> Debugger -> auto build project if it is not up to data"

so, now I'm done whining & actually doing what you've suggested it works. and it works sweet.

this is why this is frustrating. you've done the hard bit. just a little "icing on top" & that's another weird quirk transformed into another awesome feature. :) 

Other stuff:

Editor shortcut config & incremental search should be standard base package features not addons imo.

Not suggesting changing your default key bindings. Your choice there is more intuitive but allowing secondary binding packages (or however you want to call it) to provide shortcuts that match other popular packages would aid user migration.

Cheers guys.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 02:41:02 pm by advance-software »

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
...a more intuitive interface will make support easier and the product better.
C::B is not a product in the common sense, but free software project/tool.
Adding features makes one software harder to maintain/support.

Editor shortcut config & incremental search should be standard base package features not addons imo.
Here I agree.

Not suggesting changing your default key bindings. Your choice there is more intuitive but allowing secondary binding packages (or however you want to call it) to provide shortcuts that match other popular packages would aid user migration.
Key collisions are inevitable...
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline advance-software

> Key collisions are inevitable...

Sorry, phrased that badly. Key mapping templates. Either standard CB or standard VC or whatever, which could then be customized by users & saved as their bindings defaults. Again, sounds like you have most of this already. Just the option of being able to select VC bindings & that one's done.

But here I'll come onto your side of the fence & say these things are fluff that aren't hard to deal with once you know the system.

Of more importance is there's still a little debugging weirdness. Get the occasional lockup. No idea if it's CB or gdb. Update when I have more info,

Offline advance-software

Ok, back to the using codeblocks as a debugger front end feature :

If I untick settings -> Debugger -> auto build project if not up to date as advised ...

... the properties, build targets execution working directory is ignored & the app starts from the directory that the project would have built into had I not unticked auto build (hope that makes sense)

I want to be able to step into an existing executable & specify the startup directory.

Will go back to ddd for this for now as too many obscure hoops to jump through in cb right now but a shame this isn't closed out in an intuitive manner ... would make the product a lot more useful & you're so close to having an awesome new feature.

Understand the resource issue. Sorry, overloaded too right now & no beer tokens with which to compensate you at the moment.

Working on that ... might even happen one day :)

« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 08:08:53 pm by advance-software »

Offline BlueHazzard

• Developer
  • Lives here!
I want to be able to step into an existing executable & specify the startup directory.

i think this should help:

Project->Properties->Build Targets->Execution working dir

"Settings -> Debugger -> auto build project is a global setting so I'd have to remember to switch this on/off as I switch projects. That might work but it's not a good solution.

I think too that this should be a project specific setting...

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
I think too that this should be a project specific setting...
Real life use-case please! I'm not sure that the current one is valid one, because if the project is empty the build will succeed or you can always click "Debug anyway" in the message box that pops up if the build fails.

Ok, back to the using codeblocks as a debugger front end feature :

If I untick settings -> Debugger -> auto build project if not up to date as advised ...

... the properties, build targets execution working directory is ignored & the app starts from the directory that the project would have built into had I not unticked auto build (hope that makes sense)
Post simple project and the steps needed to reproduce the problem.
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline advance-software

> Post simple project and the steps needed to reproduce the problem.

well, I could but it's going round the houses to fix something that I don't want anyhow.

If someone were to implement import -> project -> [binary] & allow the binary startup directory to be specified in an intuitive manner, I'd definitely file bug reports with test cases if that had issues.

hope you understand why I wrote that - lets do this right or not at all.

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
But it is implemented. You can set the path in the Project -> Properties -> Build targets -> Execution working dir

Offline advance-software

guess this will have to wait till I have the time & patience to do it right.

can't have a bunch of weird quirky stuff getting in the way. stops me working efficiently.

please take that the right way - it's the offer of a little help when I get a minute.