Author Topic: Menu Icons are gone  (Read 44059 times)

Offline killerbot

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: Menu Icons are gone
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2006, 02:55:10 pm »
looking at tiwag's screenshot : he is suffering in the file menu from the same icon disappearing and the same 2 remaining. And he had it with his build and my nightly build.
What might be so different between the other icons and those 2 ??

Lieven

Offline tiwag

• Developer
  • Lives here!
  • sailing away ...
    • tiwag.cb
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2006, 02:59:59 pm »
@thomas
can you please download and run the nightly build in order to verify if this bug is related to the build of CB or related to Windows settings ?
thx alot

takeshimiya

« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2006, 03:09:27 pm »
I'm having problems with dissapeared icons and some context-menu entries also.

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2006, 03:30:04 pm »
@thomas - did you notice in my posts, that i tested ALSO with the nightly build version in order to invalidate all errors which could be happened in my build-flow ??!!
No reason get get anygry. Certainly saw that. But still, a forgotten wxWidgets dll lying around in your path can as well screw up a nightly build, hence this suggestion.

I don't believe it is build related, because all I did is update to HEAD, double-click the project file, and hit the blue gear.
There is nothing magical in what I am doing, nor is there anything special with my system - it is a plain normal Windows XP installation, pretty much like it comes out of the box, with no evil mess-up software (tweakers, optimizers, P2P software, games, etc.) installed, and most settings (except for the sys folders being on D:) are factory settings.

Maybe it is due to some Windows update which you did and I did not. Who knows.
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

Offline killerbot

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2006, 03:30:38 pm »
I might be on to something.
I just looked at the file : main_menu.xrc, some things I noticed :

1) many empty (looking ) lines
2) for the file menu : the 2 icons that do show up have :
    - NO accal and help tags
    - have less empty lines because of that

I tried to play around with that idea hoping to prove something, or finding some pattern : but no luck.

Or is something strange in the xrc file ??

Offline tiwag

• Developer
  • Lives here!
  • sailing away ...
    • tiwag.cb
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2006, 03:34:14 pm »
@thomas - did you notice in my posts, that i tested ALSO with the nightly build version in order to invalidate all errors which could be happened in my build-flow ??!!
No reason get get anygry. Certainly saw that. But still, a forgotten wxWidgets dll lying around in your path can as well screw up a nightly build, hence this suggestion.

I don't believe it is build related, because all I did is update to HEAD, double-click the project file, and hit the blue gear.
There is nothing magical in what I am doing, nor is there anything special with my system - it is a plain normal Windows XP installation, pretty much like it comes out of the box, with no evil mess-up software (tweakers, optimizers, P2P software, games, etc.) installed, and most settings (except for the sys folders being on D:) are factory settings.

Maybe it is due to some Windows update which you did and I did not. Who knows.

dont be angry - only wanted to point out this fact.

i insist : could you please run the nightly build with copying the wxdll from the download in the nightly build codeblocks directory and see what you get ?
this test would safe us many speculations...

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2006, 03:44:57 pm »
The same procedure as every year, James.

"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

Offline tiwag

• Developer
  • Lives here!
  • sailing away ...
    • tiwag.cb
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2006, 03:49:58 pm »
@thomas
thx - now we know definitely that is has to do with local windows settings !

Offline killerbot

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2006, 03:50:04 pm »
thomas, could you provide a zip file with your 'unicode' windows build together with your build of wx dll.
The we could give that one a try.

Lieven

Offline killerbot

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2006, 03:51:05 pm »
classic view <---> XP view ??

I use classic.

EDIT : Though I still don't understand that some icons do it , others don't.

Offline tiwag

• Developer
  • Lives here!
  • sailing away ...
    • tiwag.cb
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2006, 03:56:51 pm »
classic view <---> XP view ??

I use classic.

EDIT : Though I still don't understand that some icons do it , others don't.

i tested already with both , classic and windows XP style - nothing icons are gone ...

its a good idea to test thomas' files on our machines, but i fear i know already the answer...  :x

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
    • Code::Blocks IDE
« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2006, 04:06:09 pm »
Hmm, that's strange...
I 've seen this too although I couldn't say what it was. I deleted the devel dir and clicked the blue gear. This just re-created all the programs/libraries in devel/.
Then I run update.bat and everything is working correctly again...

@tiwag: try this but keep a copy of the devel/ dir first. If this fixes it for you too, compare the new devel/ with the copy you kept. We might pinpoint the reason then...
Be patient!
This bug will be fixed soon...

Offline tiwag

• Developer
  • Lives here!
  • sailing away ...
    • tiwag.cb
« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2006, 04:09:54 pm »
Hmm, that's strange...
I 've seen this too although I couldn't say what it was. I deleted the devel dir and clicked the blue gear. This just re-created all the programs/libraries in devel/.
Then I run update.bat and everything is working correctly again...

@tiwag: try this but keep a copy of the devel/ dir first. If this fixes it for you too, compare the new devel/ with the copy you kept. We might pinpoint the reason then...

i did it already - svn checkout in a fresh directory and built from there : result --> icons are gone  :(

just now i copied all the files to a fresh VMware XP installation and tested there - icons are gone ?
by this procedure, i found, that the mingwm10.dll was missing in the first place,
@thomas - can you please post your mingw10.dll here

that's the only file which is (maybe) different when running the nightly build version, which runs at thomas' computer fine, and on mine not

« Last Edit: January 03, 2006, 04:13:13 pm by tiwag »

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2006, 04:16:05 pm »
thomas, could you provide a zip file with your 'unicode' windows build together with your build of wx dll.
The we could give that one a try.
Useless - as you can see, your build works fine for me, so my build is none better than yours.

I traced what files are accessed while the nightly build ran, and I found (among many others) these two which might deal with menus and icons somehow:
msimg32.dll   5.1.2600.2180  MD5 3b8a9c87027bf8d6d156be5fa6e8ebc6
uxtheme.dll   6.00.2900.2180  MD5 c18e221634400c608209a123f2a10283

If you have a different version, it could be that this one does not properly open the icons. Maybe. No idea. Could be?

Offline killerbot

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2006, 04:23:59 pm »
same version number, well 1 minor diff : 6.0.2900.2180  (1 0 after the 6.)