Author Topic: cursor is positioned to the right of the character when typing, not to the left  (Read 7506 times)

Offline ClientAlive

• Single posting newcomer
Hi,

I'm sorry if this was already posted somewhere and I missed it. I did some searching and just didn't see anything.

This is just driving me nuts. I must have clicked something in the settings when I was in there and now I can't find it again to fix the problem. The cursor position is set to the right of the character and when you hit the key the character appears to the left of the character (or something like that). So for example:

If you have a line with a misspelled word in it like so:  "this has a mippelled word" and you wanted to put an "s" in there to start fixing the word, you would have to place the cursor to the right of the first "p" in the word then when you hit the letter "s" key it would actually appear to the left of the first "p".

What happens in practice though is that I don't remember it's like that (I don't want to remember I just want it to work normally) and I end up with screwey results that I have to go back and fuss with and try to fix.

Please, can anyone help me get this set back to normal?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 06:30:53 pm by ClientAlive »

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
I really don't know what happens there (and I never saw something like this).

You can try to play with the (caret-)settings in "Settings -> Editor -> Margins and caret".

If that does not help (I think it will not), you can try to reset all C::B settings by deleting (or better renaming, for backup purposes) the main conf-file (default.conf), if C::B is closed. On next start a new one will be created from scratch.

On linux it is in ~/.codeblocks on windows in %APP_DATA%\codeblocks

Offline ClientAlive

• Single posting newcomer
Maybe resetting to default settings is the easiest thing to do. I just started using c::b recently so doing that wouldn't be too devastating. I'll try that and see if it helps.

Thanks
Jake
------------

Edit:

It is a linux system btw (Ubuntu 10.04).

Offline Calmarius

• Multiple posting newcomer
Same here. I installed CB10.05 on an Ubuntu Server 12.04 and using it via X forwarding for remote debugging.

It works, but the cursor has an odd behavior when it's inside string constants. The caret is blinking at the wrong place so characters are get inserted 1 or 2 positions before the caret.
Seemingly it depends on which font is used. (I'm using proportional fonts, choosing Dejavu Sans and Sans reproduces the problem in the X forwarded session.)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 02:58:00 pm by Calmarius »