Author Topic: New logo  (Read 24946 times)

McGiwer

New logo
« on: December 29, 2005, 12:39:35 pm »
Hi. This is the my first post on this forum. I'm not a developer yet, but I intend to participate in Polish translation of Code::Blocks. But first, I have an idea of changing the logo, because the current one still reminds me about M$, in my opinion it's too similar... What do you think about it? If the idea catches on, we'll organise the competition for the best logo ;) In my opinion it can be something very similar to the current one, but maybe colors... more curved corners...

What about it?

sethjackson

Re: New logo
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2005, 03:08:17 pm »
Hi. This is the my first post on this forum. I'm not a developer yet, but I intend to participate in Polish translation of Code::Blocks. But first, I have an idea of changing the logo, because the current one still reminds me about M$, in my opinion it's too similar... What do you think about it? If the idea catches on, we'll organise the competition for the best logo ;) In my opinion it can be something very similar to the current one, but maybe colors... more curved corners...

What about it?

Yeah I think its a good idea.

McGiwer

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2005, 04:40:55 pm »
Hmm, I think that not only we two are for changing the logo :) Do you have any ideas of a new one? I'll try to create somethink for tomorrow. If you have any ideas, put the link here.

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2005, 05:15:14 pm »
Well, here you have at least one who is against it.
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

Offline Der Meister

• Regular
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2005, 05:25:26 pm »
Well, I don't see a reason for changing the logo - I rather like the current one.
But if you make a few examples we would have a better basis for discussing a possible change, because discussing if we should change it or not without having a real alternative doens't help us. But maybe you could bring up such a brilliant logo to even convince thomas?  :D
Real Programmers don't comment their code. If it was hard to write, it should be hard to understand.
Real Programmers don't write in BASIC. Actually, no programmers write in BASIC, after the age of 12.

Offline rickg22

• Lives here!
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2005, 05:36:06 pm »
Perhaps if the angle and borders of the blocks were a *tiny bit* more accentuated, and the purple block was a bit more "out" than the others...

In any case:

a) Microsoft doesn't own a trademark over the colors
b) The Windows(TM) colors are in different order than ours
c) Our logo consists of blocks, not stained glass.

Offline yop

• Regular
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2005, 05:42:04 pm »
Perhaps if the angle and borders of the blocks were a *tiny bit* more accentuated, and the purple block was a bit more "out" than the others...
And then you'd have to change your avatar again  :lol:
Life would be so much easier if we could just look at the source code.

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2005, 05:44:37 pm »
But maybe you could bring up such a brilliant logo to even convince thomas?
That's unlikely :lol:

There are several reasons why I am against changing the logo, and I believe those are good reasons:
1. There is nothing seriously wrong with the current logo.
2. People know the current logo, they recognize it and associate it with Code::Blocks. Even if it were not quite so good otherwise, that alone would justify to keep it. "Corporate identity" is a very important thing, and changing the logo causes a major caesura.
3. The logo - four blocks stacked on each other - is not just a logo. It is an ingenious idea. This logo is Code::Blocks.
4. It is simple. Simple is good.
5. It scales well both to different resolutions and colour depths. This is very hard to achieve with a "better" logo.
6. A lot of other artwork depends on it (I have spent a lot of time on that, myself)
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

Offline orefa

• Multiple posting newcomer
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2005, 06:20:37 pm »
I just had to click on this thread and ask "why?" since I've always liked the existing logo. I find it descriptive of the program and smoke has to be quite thick in the room before four blocks get confused for a window. And even if it did look similar, why would this be a bad thing? I vote to retain it at least until Bill decides to sue.

sethjackson

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2005, 06:29:04 pm »
There are several reasons why I am against changing the logo, and I believe those are good reasons:
3. The logo - four blocks stacked on each other - is not just a logo. It is an ingenious idea. This logo is Code::Blocks.

Point(s) taken. :)
Don't change the four blocks as you said that is Code::Blocks. I was thinking maybe change the background on the splash screen or something. Not the four blocks. Although the splash from SVN is very nice. :)

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2005, 06:39:04 pm »
I was thinking maybe change the background on the splash screen or something.
This is already done for RC3.

Offline 280Z28

• Regular
  • *insert unicode here*
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2005, 06:45:20 pm »
Definitely keep the current logo.

The spash screen should not say "Release Candidate x" though. It defeats the idea that the final release candidate is the actual released version. The release candidates for Firefox were only distinguishable from each other by the build date. That's the way it should be. Firefox 1.5 RC3 and Firefox 1.5 Final have the same md5sum if that says anything. So do OpenOffice 2.0 RC2 and OpenOffice 2.0 Final.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2005, 10:21:21 pm by 280Z28 »
78 280Z, "a few bolt-ons" - 12.71@109.04
99 Trans Am, "Daily Driver" - 525rwhp/475rwtq
 Check out The Sam Zone :cool:

sethjackson

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2005, 06:46:57 pm »
I was thinking maybe change the background on the splash screen or something.
This is already done for RC3.

:lol:  8)

Offline Michael

• Lives here!
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2005, 09:36:34 pm »
Hello,

Personally, I like the actual C::B logo and IMHO it is very appropriate :). And I am not sure if thomas would like to change his avatar (it's cool :D) if the logo would change :).

Michael

takeshimiya

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2005, 10:18:47 pm »
Hi! I really like the current logo.

Some months ago I made a splash screen based on the thomas one. :D
Here they are:

Takeshi Miya's grey version:

Takeshi Miya's gradient version:

Original version:

I attach in zip here the rest of the images (about dialog, start_here):
http://xjapan.com.ar/downloads/cb/splash_screens/splash_screen-grey.zip
http://xjapan.com.ar/downloads/cb/splash_screens/splash_screen-gradient.zip
http://xjapan.com.ar/downloads/cb/splash_screens/splash_screen-original.zip

If you like 'em tell me so I post the psd sources, or if not, I could make any modification you want. :D