Author Topic: Cannot find path for include file  (Read 4695 times)

Offline chrysop

• Single posting newcomer
Cannot find path for include file
« on: March 20, 2013, 11:31:45 am »
Hello!

I've just installed Code::Blocks in my PC running Windows 7 SP1 (Greek) but when I try to run a C++ program I get an error message saying "Fatal error: iostream no such file or directory".

It would seem that some base path for the include files wasn't set so I tried setting some paths in Settings -> Compiler -> Search Directories but it didn't help.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: Cannot find path for include file
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 12:13:35 pm »
This error can happen if you try to include a c++-header (like iostream) in a file that is compiled with a c-compiler.
Normally the searchpath for the compilers own system-headers and libs do not need to be set explicitely. Usually the compilers "know" where they are, if nobody has moved folders or files in the compilers installation directory.

Offline chrysop

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013, 02:11:54 pm »
And what should I do in this case? I tried auto-detecting the compiler from Settings -> Compiler -> Toolchain executables and it seemed to find the correct compiler (the mingw32 compiler, although I don't recall now if it found the gcc or g++ one).

Anything else I should / could do?

It might help to say that when I was installing Code::Blocks I had to run the setup file as administrator, so maybe I have to run the executable as administrator as well? (I just thought of that...)

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 02:19:25 pm »
What's the extension of your source-file ?

Offline chrysop

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 02:32:16 pm »
Ok, I should have seen that... Code::Blocks added a default extention of ".c" to my file, even though the extention typed was named as "C/C++ source file".

Changing that to ".cc" solved all my problems...  ;D

Thanks a lot people!