Author Topic: The local variables and function arguments features have not been reimplemented  (Read 14510 times)

Offline mgpensar

• Single posting newcomer
Hi,
In 12.11 the release notes says: " The local variables and function arguments features have not been reimplemented, because of complexities in the UI design, reliability issues and performance".

Is this just for 12.11 or this feature is not intended to be reimplemented in the forseable future ?

Thank you for your attention,
Mau.

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
Is this just for 12.11 or this feature is not intended to be reimplemented in the forseable future ?
Yes, they will be reimplemented some day, but they are not high priority feature, at least in my list of features which have to be implemented.
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline martind

• Multiple posting newcomer
Sorry to dig up an old topic, but I would just like to comment from an embedded developer perspective.

I would consider this a critical feature for myself, and many embedded developers. It's also one of the most basic requirements for embedded & C++ debugging for us. This also seems to be the only IDE that does not support locals/function arguments?

Because of this I have had to switch from CodeBlocks for my development, which is a shame for me because I miss it greatly. I would also like to continue work on my embedded plugin (cbmcu), which I have not worked on for some time.

I really need this feature back in codeblocks, and I would like to start looking at the code again. I can't think of any real technical issues that would prevent this feature, however bowing to your superior knowledge on the subject.

Marty.

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
I really need this feature back in codeblocks
Search the forums, a patch is available.
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline gd_on

• Lives here!
Hi,
I tried your patch (found here) on svn 9271 under Windows. Nevertheless, though it compiles and executes, I can't obtain a watch to local variables.
In Settings/debugger, "Watch functions arguments" and "Watch local variables", though checked, are still grayed.
I try a full C::B rebuild, also try to delete default.conf.
Do I miss something ?

gd_on
Windows 11 64 bits (23H2), svn C::B (last version or almost!), wxWidgets 3.2.4 (tests with 3.3), Msys2 Compilers 13.2.0, 64 bits (seh, posix : gcc, g++ and gfortran in C:\msys64\mingw64) or 32 bits (dwarf2, posix  in C:\msys64\mingw32).

Offline martind

• Multiple posting newcomer
Many thanks, will take a look.

Martin.