Author Topic: so where's the off-topic board?  (Read 5519 times)

Offline ixfd64

• Multiple posting newcomer
    • Facebook
so where's the off-topic board?
« on: March 04, 2013, 08:51:00 pm »
I don't come here very often, so I'm not 100% familiar with how this forum works. However, there is one thing I'd like clarification on.

I was always under the impression that the General forum was also the off-topic (social) forum. I mean, I've seen several regulars refer to it as such. But this no longer seems to be the case: the forum description now states that discussions should be related to Code::Blocks, and my attempt at lightening up the forum appears to have been deleted.

So my question is: where's the "real" off-topic board? Do I have to have a certain number of posts to access it? Is socializing no longer allowed here? Or is there another website where Code::Blocks users and developers go to hang out? After all, there is life outside of Code::Blocks - or at least I hope that's the case! ^_^

P.S. Feel free to remove this topic after it has been answered.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 05:55:10 am by ixfd64 »

Offline Folco

• Regular
    • Folco's blog (68k lover)
Re: so where's the off-topic board?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 09:19:41 pm »
After all, there is life outside of Code::Blocks
As you say, there is life outside of www.forums.codeblocks.org for social entertainment. There is no such forum here, this is strictly dedicated to technical support around C::B.

One of the most important reason is that admins spend their time to improve C::B and help those who get into troubles, they don't have any time to moderate a "social forum".
Kernel Extremist - PedroM power ©

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 10:06:00 pm »
... the forum description now states that discussions should be related to Code::Blocks...
It has been this way for the many years, it hasn't been changed yesterday.
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 03:30:50 pm »
We need to read (and possibly moderate) all posts for legal reasons, having a server located in fool's land under fool's juridiction. In the jurisdiction where the server is located, a site owner is liable for the contents posted by other people, unless he is moderating the site with due diligence (and has a record of it to prove that).

Which means we're really not interested in having off-topic noise, as it only adds extra work to the moderators.

Please use Facebook (or whatever the kool kids use) for such things.
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

Offline ixfd64

• Multiple posting newcomer
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 08:17:00 pm »
Hi Thomas, thanks for the explanation. I can see how having an off-topic would increase the workload for the staff, mainly due to the influx of posts, as well as the potential for inappropriate content. It would be nice if someone created an unofficial social forum for the Code::Blocks community, but until that happens...

By the way, I take it that moving the hosting to another country (say, Estonia) would be out of the question?

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2013, 08:41:09 pm »
Why don't you make a C::B group in Facebook/Google+ or whatever and end the topic?

I don't see any benefit in having and off-topic subforum, it will be just a waste of time.
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]