Developer forums (C::B DEVELOPMENT STRICTLY!) > CodeCompletion redesign

Requirements / Guidelines for re-writing the Code Completion

<< < (2/6) > >>

Michael:

--- Quote from: Takeshi Miya on December 21, 2005, 01:34:34 pm ---The picture is:

wxWidgets containers sucks.
STL containers are great.

wxString is great.
STL string sucks (written by english people, for english people).

So I agree with thomas: using STL containers, and using wxString, but trying to use the STL string compatible functions.

--- End quote ---

STL Containers are good, that's right :), but wxWidgets advices not to use STL. I have had some problems by using STL, wxWidgets and std:string :(. Therefore, I am not sure it would be good by mixing containers. Anyway, I would be happy if I could use STL with wxWidgets without any problems :).

Michael

David Perfors:
I thought the devs of wxWidgets are planning to fully support STL in some version of wxWidgets (wasn't it for 3.0...)
But I agree that we should not mix STL and wxWidgets as long as wxWidgets doesn't fully support this...

takeshimiya:
Mm, what kind of problems you had? I mean, STL containers + wxString, instead of wxWidgets+std::string.

And anyways, wxWidgets 3.0 is planned to be release the next year, which will be very STL friendly.

wxWidgets currently advices not to use STL mainly because at the time of 2.0 release, the STL implementations were really bad, especially the MSVC6 one. But now the situation is better (less people using MSVC6 :)).

EDIT: mispunt won me :P

Michael:

--- Quote from: Takeshi Miya on December 21, 2005, 02:17:20 pm ---Mm, what kind of problems you had? I mean, STL containers + wxString, instead of wxWidgets+std::string.

--- End quote ---

I have had cast problems, problems with STL vectors and linking problems. With some work I solved the cast and the vector problems, but I still could not linking my application in relaese, because of wxWidgets link errors.

--- Quote from: Takeshi Miya on December 21, 2005, 02:17:20 pm ---And anyways, wxWidgets 3.0 is planned to be release the next year, which will be very STL friendly.

--- End quote ---

That's would be really good :D.

--- Quote from: Takeshi Miya on December 21, 2005, 02:17:20 pm ---wxWidgets currently advices not to use STL mainly because at the time of 2.0 release, the STL implementations were really bad, especially the MSVC6 one. But now the situation is better (less people using MSVC6 :)).

--- End quote ---

Yes, MSVC6 has a real bad STL implementation. Better is to use STLport :). A lot of users solve their STL problems with MSVC6 by using it.

Concerning the use of templates or string class I would like to add that wxWidgets FAQ proposes a workaround if you want to use templates or the string class. But it does not help me by solving my problems :(.

--- Quote ---There is nothing to stop an application using templates or the string class for its own purposes. With wxWidgets debugging options on, you may find you get errors when including STL headers. You can work around it either by switching off memory checking, or by adding this to a header before you include any STL files:

--- Code: ---#ifdef new
#undef new
#endif

--- End code ---

--- End quote ---

Michael

takeshimiya:
I think they redefine (by default) the new operator, for debugging purposes, which I think can be safely turned off.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version