Developer forums (C::B DEVELOPMENT STRICTLY!) > CodeCompletion redesign

Requirements / Guidelines for re-writing the Code Completion

<< < (5/6) > >>

patlecat:
If you want to improve CB, toward what's the best CodeCompletion systems today, then orient yourself instead on Visual Slick Edit (go to Cool Demos). Not on an outdated VC plugin!

I began a project this summer for my employer to reimplement a server written in Perl on a new machine in C++. Target machine is Solaris10-Sparc. So I thought: Great I can develop on Windows with CodeBlocks and just move the files over and compile them there. But apart from the lack of Makefile support the biggest downer for me was the very incomplete support for CodeCompletion that helps you with new Code and Libraries!
So, after 3 weeks of struggling with CB I gave up and bought the excellent Visual Slick Edit.

I have used VSE for some years and have not come across a more convenient Editor since, including VisualC 6-8 ! So I really think that you should let yourself be influenced by this editor as the top notch on the market. Because I would love to use CB for everything as soon as possible!

One key of success is the excellent Tagging-System in VSE which allows you to add new interfaces anytime!

Raindog:

--- Quote from: patlecat on July 22, 2007, 11:38:46 am ---If you want to improve CB, toward what's the best CodeCompletion systems today, then orient yourself instead on Visual Slick Edit (go to Cool Demos). Not on an outdated VC plugin!

I began a project this summer for my employer to reimplement a server written in Perl on a new machine in C++. Target machine is Solaris10-Sparc. So I thought: Great I can develop on Windows with CodeBlocks and just move the files over and compile them there. But apart from the lack of Makefile support the biggest downer for me was the very incomplete support for CodeCompletion that helps you with new Code and Libraries!
So, after 3 weeks of struggling with CB I gave up and bought the excellent Visual Slick Edit.

I have used VSE for some years and have not come across a more convenient Editor since, including VisualC 6-8 ! So I really think that you should let yourself be influenced by this editor as the top notch on the market. Because I would love to use CB for everything as soon as possible!

One key of success is the excellent Tagging-System in VSE which allows you to add new interfaces anytime!

--- End quote ---

Well, if you define "superior" as not properly handing the most basic refactorings on code with templates (including renames), requiring "tag" files for code completion and not actual intelligent knowledge of the source, poor syntax highlighting and extremely outdated editor, then yeah, I would wholeheartedly suggest VSE over VAX.

VAX provides the following features:
* improved syntax highlighting.
* improved code completion. (as good as java or c# intellisense features).
* c/c++ refactoring.
* outline view of code that enables navigation to and re-arrangement of code from within the view.
* spell checking.
* quick templates.
* ability to find references to variables, functions, classes.
* supremely awesome code navigation features/shortcuts.

If anyone develops w/ Visual Studio and does not use VAX, you might as well code in notepad.

patlecat:
You've got to be kidding me...

AlekseyT:
May be better use sqlite (www.sqlite.or) for store current project information (parsed function, variable and so on). Back-end in background get all information and write it to database. Only back-end may write and delete information from sqlite database. Front-end(s) use database for reading. Front-end(s) can get information in one transaction (for get consistent information).

With this scheme developers can integrate other back-end (other parse engine) into CB. And plugin-developer can also easy get needed info from parser.

stevenkaras:

--- Quote from: AlekseyT on March 13, 2008, 04:59:45 pm ---May be better use sqlite (www.sqlite.or) for store current project information (parsed function, variable and so on). Back-end in background get all information and write it to database. Only back-end may write and delete information from sqlite database. Front-end(s) use database for reading. Front-end(s) can get information in one transaction (for get consistent information).

With this scheme developers can integrate other back-end (other parse engine) into CB. And plugin-developer can also easy get needed info from parser.

--- End quote ---

True. You should take a look at the wiki page, where you can find some more info on the C::C rewrite:
http://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=Code::Completion_Rewrite

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version