Author Topic: Code 10.5 missing HELP settings  (Read 6169 times)

Offline JLeith

• Single posting newcomer
Code 10.5 missing HELP settings
« on: October 27, 2012, 01:17:25 am »
Hello All I have just started to work with Code Block 10.5 and I printed off the manual. I reached the section 1.10.7 "Including external help files" Well to my surprise the "Folder" is not listing.

I have attached the images to help in sorting out the 'help" screen

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: Code 10.5 missing HELP settings
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012, 01:59:02 am »
The windows installer of 10.05 does not install all contrib-plugins as default.
If it is not installed, you have to rerun the installer and make sure it is selected to be installed.

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2012, 05:43:41 pm »
If it is not installed, you have to rerun the installer and make sure it is selected to be installed.
I don't get it. What is so hard to read what the installer tells you??? (See image.)

@JLeith We have that type of questions from time to time. Please tell me: Why didn't you read in the first place? What could we do you would?
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline JLeith

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2012, 07:53:29 pm »
Jen’s message
- Thank you Jen for your kind information. I downloaded the CodeBlocks Manual Version 1.1 in English. I’m sorry but I don’t recall having to select files that really don’t know they are needed until you reach section 1.10 and it talks about it. I’m brand new at using CodeBlocks and in other application when you load a program it loads all the defaults you would need to support the Manual. Just my thoughts. I will reload the software. Again thank you,

MortenMacFly  message
I don't get it. What is so hard to read what the installer tells you???
MortenMacFly  I’m sorry for being not as informed as you wish me to be and YES I don’t get it when I don’t see information on the issue to select files to include and I don’t recall a message during loading to ENSURE I was not going to need more than a novice programmer would need to start. I must say YES I do need my reading glasses at times but I TRY to follow loading instructions when I’m directed to.

All the best and I’m off to reload

John

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2012, 08:39:16 pm »
I must say YES I do need my reading glasses at times but I TRY to follow loading instructions when I’m directed to.
I meant this truly seriously and not offending btw: What can we do that such things do not happen?

On the one hand: If we install "just all" in the first place, the installation becomes a big cow and we surely install 80% of what a dedicated user won't use. On the other hand, if we install just the "important" stuff (we believe is important) we get questions like yours.

So again: What could we do better? What would have helped you to read and understand the explanation the installer shows in the first place? What would you have expected? Why did you need to ask here?
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"

Offline JLeith

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2012, 09:00:30 pm »
Hello MortenMacFly,
Your Message: Why did you need to ask here?
? I would like to use CodeBlocks to it fullest and when I noticed it was not working as the manual I really didn't know who to ask so I thought the best place was to post a message and see if I was doing something wrong and from your help I was willing to reload and see where I was going wrong.

Well I tried the reload and noticed the image you displayed is not the same as the one I have.
1 - Your load requirements indicate 53MEG and mine indicates 37MEG - Is the install size changed ?
2 - Your version is V2.42 and mine is V2.46

I did not see the Drop down Help Files as I see in your version.
I have enclosed a snap shot of my V2.46

I don't know what would be my next step ?

Your help would be appreciated.

John

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2012, 10:43:10 pm »
1 - Your load requirements indicate 53MEG and mine indicates 37MEG - Is the install size changed ?
I am testing the installer for the next release.

2 - Your version is V2.42 and mine is V2.46
I didn't update NSIS so far... but that doesn't matter.

I did not see the Drop down Help Files as I see in your version.
Enlarge the "contrib plugin" section, i.e. click on the "plus".

The question for me is, how do we make the users (including you) aware at installation time that not all components are selected in the default install. For me writing this installer this was clearly indicated by the missing checks in the check-boxes and the greyed check-boxes which is a common standard on Windows in nearly every settings dialog. But even additionally presenting the written text and explicitly stating there that you can/have to choose seems not enough.

The only thing I can think of is presenting a message box whenever you start the installer saying: "Please read whats written and hit the plus sign.". But this seems really weird to me.

Offline JLeith

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2012, 01:42:10 am »
Hello Mortenmacfly,

I totally understand the matter and will reload my application. You were asking how to address this Loading problem. It might be easiest to update the Manual Version and place a few of the screen images in the manual explaining what that should load to help in making CodeBlocks work as you wish it to. As when I downloaded the manual I followed the sections step by step. I see there is steps to build targets and many other clips on other settings.

All the Best,

John

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2012, 06:58:19 am »
It might be easiest to update the Manual Version and place a few of the screen images in the manual explaining what that should load to help in making CodeBlocks work as you wish it to.
Indeed. But this would not help the people not reading the manual... and I'm afraid most of the people won't. :-\

Offline JLeith

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2012, 05:25:37 pm »
True, I know I like to have a manual to ensure I know how to use the options. Maybe activate the Help or make the drop down appear larger so members might select the items like Microsoft does on their downloads.

All the best,
John