Author Topic: Global compiler settings policy  (Read 5274 times)

Offline p2rkw

• Almost regular
Global compiler settings policy
« on: August 25, 2012, 03:37:25 pm »
Currently compiler and linker settings are fixed to "use projects options only". Why other policies are not available?

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
Re: Global compiler settings policy
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2012, 03:48:06 pm »
Probably because the global compiler options are always used, no matter of the policy.
This is the reason that putting something project specific there is not a good idea.
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline p2rkw

• Almost regular
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2012, 05:08:55 pm »
Ok, so other question: what does "Set as default" option? Every project can choose other compiler, and it ignore default compiler.
For example: I want to compile "Release" version of codeblocks. So I have to add full optimization options to  "GNU GCC Compier", because codeblocks projects use this compiler. After that I build my project in debug version, so I have to revert compiler settings to defaults.
In my opinion projects should be able to use currently set default compiler.

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2012, 07:30:19 pm »
Hm,
I don't understand the question much.
"Set as default" just makes this compiler the default compiler for new project/targets.

For the C::B's project you can add/remove the optimization options from the project options, which will probably be inherited by all targets.
Also you can use different compiler for different targets.

BTW: we have user manual, probably it is a good idea to take a look at it.
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline p2rkw

• Almost regular
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2012, 09:05:15 pm »
So, I have to add these options to more than 30 contrib plugins projects manually? I will create new profile to do this.

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2012, 09:22:08 pm »
Yes, but you were talking about the codeblocks project, not the contrib workspace.

BTW what exactly do you want to achieve? As far as I know the contrib projects already include optimization options
and if you want to debug a single plugin you can disable the optimizations for this plugin only.