Author Topic: Something to keep in mind before 1.0 brings a bunch of new users  (Read 9981 times)

Offline 280Z28

• Regular
  • *insert unicode here*
Something to keep in mind before 1.0 brings a bunch of new users
« on: December 15, 2005, 10:55:28 pm »
My personal viewpoint is that the final release candidate should be the same as the released version. For example, OpenOffice 2.0RC3 and OpenOffice 2.0 Final have the same md5sum. Firefox 1.5RC3 is identical to Firefox 1.5 Final, although I haven't checked the md5sums there.

Anyway, we could go to an RC4, but we might go straight to final. When we do go to final, this project is going to get a lot of publicity (hello Slashdot), and people from other editors are going to check it out. I think it would be amazing if the first time it's run, a dialog pops up asking what editor they are used to, and sets up the initial keystroke bindings to match what they are familiar with. I've used ConTEXT and Visual Studio extensively and can list all the key bindings for each one. Of course, the default option on that dialog would be "Use Code::Blocks default keys." Other people here can fill in for other popular "normal" editors. Obviously we can't use VIM keys since they aren't regular bindings. But there's UltraEdit, Eclipse, JEdit... others I'm sure. We don't have to get all just ones that people here are already familiar with. Shouldn't take long to set up a couple different default profiles. :)

Can we do this before RC3 so it's tested and ready for our slashdot users? :)
78 280Z, "a few bolt-ons" - 12.71@109.04
99 Trans Am, "Daily Driver" - 525rwhp/475rwtq
 Check out The Sam Zone :cool:

Offline rickg22

• Lives here!
Re: Something to keep in mind before 1.0 brings a bunch of new users
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2005, 11:30:25 pm »
Sorry, no slashdotting before 1.0. And that's final.

Offline 280Z28

• Regular
  • *insert unicode here*
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2005, 11:35:04 pm »
Sorry, no slashdotting before 1.0. And that's final.

Oh no you misread what I wrote. I know that it's only going to be on /. for 1.0 final. :)

I'm saying let's have something in there to help them adjust when they come, and to make sure it's tested by us first, to put it in RC3, just for us to test.

Offline rickg22

• Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2005, 11:37:34 pm »
Yiannis told me he'd clean the current bugs after he's done with restructuring into wxIFM etc.

Offline 280Z28

• Regular
  • *insert unicode here*
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2005, 11:47:50 pm »
Yiannis told me he'd clean the current bugs after he's done with restructuring into wxIFM etc.

I'm not talking about a bug really.

Are keybindings stored in the default.conf file or another? I'm just suggesting we make a couple default default.conf files and let the user choose the one that will be the closest configuration match to the editor they are coming from, with the default option (like if they hit cancel, or ok without selecting a different option) being "Use the Code::Blocks default interface (recommended)"

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2005, 11:49:28 pm »
That's not how it works. You don't distribute default.conf.
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

Offline 280Z28

• Regular
  • *insert unicode here*
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2005, 11:58:44 pm »
That's not how it works. You don't distribute default.conf.

But the default key bindings have to be stored somewhere. :dunno: Are they all in one place? So there could be two sets of defaults that you could pick between?

Like the default option could include (for example):
Ctrl+F9 = build
Ctrl+Shift+B = goto matching brace

But a Visual Studio user will be used to:
Ctrl+Shift+B = build
Ctrl+] = goto matching brace

Could a new user be given an option that says what IDE are you used to, and have it set up keybindings that they are already used to? Learning curve goes way down for new users from Visual Studio then, with no negative repercussions to people used to the Code::Blocks way. :)

Offline killerbot

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2005, 11:59:53 pm »
Visual Studio : older users (those who used VC 6) : Build : F7

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2005, 12:01:30 am »
The default key bindings are currently stored in XRC. Where they will go in the future is not decided yet.
Modifications should go into the configuration, but the keybinder plugin currently stores its data in some proprietary file, too.
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

Offline 280Z28

• Regular
  • *insert unicode here*
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2005, 12:01:50 am »
Visual Studio : older users (those who used VC 6) : Build : F7

Oh that reminds me. Visual Studio actually does that when it starts up the first time. It asks if you want to use VS .NET keys (like I posted) or stick with the old ones. :)