Author Topic: DirectX11  (Read 11583 times)

Offline Scarrior

• Single posting newcomer
DirectX11
« on: May 19, 2013, 08:38:19 pm »
Hello, i would like to obtain the information from anyone expressing that if i can use the DirectX11 Libraries with the compiler of Code Blocks, or is Code Blocks generally designed for the standard libraries that C++ distributes ?

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: DirectX11
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 08:58:44 pm »
Code::Blocks is designed to work with all (most) common compilers (open and closed source), including MS-Compilers.
So DirectX11 is surely supported by some of them.

If you want to know whether the compiler we ship with some windows installers (MinGW) supports DirectX11, you should search the web for it, because how to set it up depends on the compiler version you use.
But in general this should work.

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 02:35:14 pm »
From my experience I can tell that TDM/GCC v4.7.1 and Direct/X11 works just fine with Code::Blocks. The MS 2008 and 2010 compiler will do, too - I don't have access to any different version. But I don't see and reason why it shouldn't work with other MS compilers, too.

Of course you should consider that Direct/X 11 is rather new, so it probably won't work with compilers released ways before Direct/X 11, including MS compilers like VC6.
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline Scarrior

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 11:13:01 am »
The DirectX application in Code blocks is outdated and only supports DirectX 9 o this can become a problem for me. Also DirectX11 was released in 2009 so you will forgive if i say that it is not really new, but yes i understand what you are saying, that most people are looking to improve the old code rather thn to include the new code.

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 02:06:15 pm »
The DirectX application in Code blocks is outdated and only supports DirectX 9
We don't have any Direct/X application in Code::Blocks? What exactly do you refer to?

If you mean the wizard - its just a minimal example for convenience that shall run on all Windows versions - so yes, its not Direct/X 11. And no, its not designed/implemented to teach modern Direct/X programming.

But if you want to develop for Direct/X 11, install the required MS SDK's and replace the "wizard code" with any of the Direct/X 11 examples and it should work.
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline Scarrior

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2013, 05:50:13 pm »
It is for computer game programming and various other types of GUI, i originally thought that you could make your own GUI with the standard array of C++ syntax but i only recently discovered what it ment by a library system so i am assuming the only way i can program interfaces with graphics such as buttons, images, 3D graphics is through DirectX or OPENGL ?

So if i am using DirectX11 i can just open a console program project and then put at the tp #include <Direct3D> and that will include the library ?

Cheers.

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2013, 06:02:45 pm »
So if i am using DirectX11 i can just open a console program project and then put at the tp #include <Direct3D> and that will include the library ?
Yes, but then you'll need to link to the DX libraries, otherwise you'll get linker errors.
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]