Author Topic: wxSmith crashes when adding bitmap button  (Read 21328 times)

Offline kencamargo

• Multiple posting newcomer
wxSmith crashes when adding bitmap button
« on: March 19, 2012, 03:00:58 am »
Ubuntu 11.10 (oneiric) 64 bits, wxWidgets 2.8.12, code::blocks svn 7899

If I try to add a bitmap button to any container, the program crashes, opening a totally blank crash report window (nothing on it except the window system close button). If I close it the program closes and any changes are lost.

Any suggestions?

TIA,
Ken

Offline kencamargo

Re: wxSmith crashes when adding bitmap button
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 04:00:02 am »

If I try to add a bitmap button to any container, the program crashes, opening a totally blank crash report window (nothing on it except the window system close button). If I close it the program closes and any changes are lost.

I managed to get one bug report, sending attached as a .zip file, in the hope this helps.

Again, thanks for any help,
Ken

Offline kencamargo

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 10:57:39 pm »

I managed to get one bug report, sending attached as a .zip file, in the hope this helps.

Whatever it was, it's gone in the new nightlie.

Offline kencamargo

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2012, 02:12:39 am »

Whatever it was, it's gone in the new nightlie.

It's been back for a while. I've upgraded both Ubuntu and codeblocks, and the problem persists. Last time it generated a report in Ubuntu, the error seems to be trying to access an invalid memory area. Is there a default bitmap that is used? COuld the path to it be corrupted on an installation?

Offline kencamargo

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2012, 03:23:45 am »
It's been back for a while. I've upgraded both Ubuntu and codeblocks, and the problem persists. Last time it generated a report in Ubuntu, the error seems to be trying to access an invalid memory area. Is there a default bitmap that is used? COuld the path to it be corrupted on an installation?

After updating: Ubuntu 12.04 (precise) 64 bits, wxWidgets 2.8.12, code::blocks svn 8059 (from pasgui; got the same with jen's)

Repeating the issue:

Offline kencamargo

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2012, 04:06:50 am »
Examining my install, I found a local (under $HOME) directory called .codeblocks, under which there was a /share/codeblocks/scripts directory; it contained just one file, startup.script, which duplicated /usr/share/codeblocks/startup.script; i eliminated the version under the local dir and apparently the problem is solved. I wonder if the local directory should exist at all.

Offline kencamargo

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2012, 05:10:30 am »
Nope, that was not it, happening again. If someone could please help me, I'd be immensely grateful, this is driving me nuts.

Offline papayrus

• Single posting newcomer
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2013, 09:27:55 am »
Nope, that was not it, happening again. If someone could please help me, I'd be immensely grateful, this is driving me nuts.
I get it too using the new code blocks with wxpack. I can use the old version nightly 8500 and I do not get a crash when adding a bitmap button. Is there any fix for this?

Offline kencamargo

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2013, 12:46:41 pm »
I get it too using the new code blocks with wxpack. I can use the old version nightly 8500 and I do not get a crash when adding a bitmap button. Is there any fix for this?

I still get it. New machine, Ubuntu 12.10 64 bits, code::blocks 12.11. The workaround I found is that if you open the wxSmith layout file but change the tab on the management pane to something other than "Resources", you can add the wxBitmapButton without a crash, but you have to:
a) add the wxBitmapButton to the layout;
b) save everything;
c) close  the layout file;
d) re-open the layout file so that you can work on the element you just added. Not particularly convenient. 

Awareness

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2013, 09:34:20 pm »
I am using Windows7 and wxWidgets(same version I think) and I have the same problem.If you add a bitmap button when the "Resources" tab is selected,or if you add the bitmap button and then select "Resources" tab, Codeblocks crashes...

Offline kencamargo

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2013, 09:38:49 pm »
I am using Windows7 and wxWidgets(same version I think) and I have the same problem.If you add a bitmap button when the "Resources" tab is selected,or if you add the bitmap button and then select "Resources" tab, Codeblocks crashes...

At least now I know I'm not crazy. :)

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2013, 12:49:01 am »
Works here, gentoo linux r8897.

Please describe the exact steps to reproduce the problem.
If you provide a sample project one step from the crash might help, too.

Edit: talked too early, I've made it crash, by placing the button inside a panel.
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline kencamargo

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2013, 01:02:14 am »
Works here, gentoo linux r8897.

Please describe the exact steps to reproduce the problem.
If you provide a sample project one step from the crash might help, too.

Edit: talked too early, I've made it crash, by placing the button inside a panel.

Steps:
- use the wizard to create a new dialog-based wxWidgets project;
- open the dialog layout for editing with wxSmith;
- add a wxBitmapButton to the dialog, anywhere;
- BOOM.

The project one step from crashing is the initial project created with Project|New.

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2013, 01:10:06 am »
This is a pretty strange issue :(

This is the bt from my installed version of C::B
Code
(gdb) bt
#0  0x00007ffff7a9f964 in wxBoolProperty::GetValueAsString(int) const () from /usr/lib64/libcodeblocks.so.0
#1  0x00007ffff7a7f8c0 in wxPGProperty::GetValueString(int) const () from /usr/lib64/libcodeblocks.so.0
#2  0x00007ffff7a801e1 in wxPGDefaultRenderer::Render(wxDC&, wxRect const&, wxPropertyGrid const*, wxPGProperty*, int, int, int) const () from /usr/lib64/libcodeblocks.so.0
#3  0x00007ffff7a911dd in wxPropertyGrid::DoDrawItems(wxDC&, wxPGProperty const*, wxPGProperty const*, wxRect const*, bool) const () from /usr/lib64/libcodeblocks.so.0
#4  0x00007ffff7a91bbc in wxPropertyGrid::DrawItems(wxDC&, unsigned int, unsigned int, wxRect const*) () from /usr/lib64/libcodeblocks.so.0
#5  0x00007ffff7a920a7 in wxPGCanvas::OnPaint(wxPaintEvent&) () from /usr/lib64/libcodeblocks.so.0
#6  0x00007ffff5da9e26 in wxEvtHandler::ProcessEventIfMatches(wxEventTableEntryBase const&, wxEvtHandler*, wxEvent&) () from /usr/lib64/libwx_baseu-2.8.so.0
#7  0x00007ffff5da9fab in wxEventHashTable::HandleEvent(wxEvent&, wxEvtHandler*) () from /usr/lib64/libwx_baseu-2.8.so.0
#8  0x00007ffff5daa2e4 in wxEvtHandler::ProcessEvent(wxEvent&) () from /usr/lib64/libwx_baseu-2.8.so.0
#9  0x00007ffff6449c40 in wxWindow::GtkSendPaintEvents() () from /usr/lib64/libwx_gtk2u_core-2.8.so.0
#10 0x00007ffff644a108 in ?? () from /usr/lib64/libwx_gtk2u_core-2.8.so.0
#11 0x00007ffff57be618 in ?? () from /usr/lib64/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0
#12 0x00007ffff54414f3 in g_closure_invoke () from /usr/lib64/libgobject-2.0.so.0
This seems like a wxPropGrid issue...

I was not able to reproduce the crash, when I tried with C::B and wxSmith compiled inside C::B :(
Pretty strange.

Edit: Running optimized builds is enough to reproduce the crashes, still no clue where is the problem :(
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 01:43:25 am by oBFusCATed »
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline kencamargo

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2013, 02:02:16 am »
This is a pretty strange issue :(

(snip)

Edit: Running optimized builds is enough to reproduce the crashes, still no clue where is the problem :(

At least now other people are having the same trouble, for almost an year I was resigned to this being some sort of private curse... I can try to generate an error report again, the problem being that 9 times out of ten the report itself got wiped out.