Developer forums (C::B DEVELOPMENT STRICTLY!) > CodeCompletion redesign

New parser model for Code completion

(1/16) > >>

takeshimiya:
Don't worry, this is what opensource is, you code on your free-time when you want, but if you don't have time, no problem.

If you're going to improve the code completion plugin it will be great, as I consider it's the part of C::B that most needs a lot of improvement. :)
But given that writting a complete C++ parser is difficult and can take years, I wonder if you did gave a look at the opensource ones I researched here.

Good luck! :: Suerte! :D

rickg22:
It's not really hard. Right now I'll only improve the parsing time by elliminating the token-adding overhead. That is, if Yiannis doesn't find out what's wrong first and beats me to a quick-hack :P

(Alright, alright, here's the answer, you could use a hash table on the tokens' names. There's your quick hack :P )

Regarding the parser... that's easy, too. It's just matter of designing a finite state machine that can be programmed in XML, so we can add custom languages. And no, i'm NOT being sarcastic! I actually had thought of this since i looked at codecompletion for the first time.

cyberkoa:
remember to come back later, dun disappear :)

takeshimiya:
You're the first person I hear saying that writting a C++ parser is easy. :shock: I mean, a full C++ parser capable of parsing templates and very big projects (like STL, QT, Mozilla, wx).

A parser like the one that haves Visual Assist X:
-Parses all files in the code, and the ones outside the project too.
-Parses the current file without need to be saved.
-Can parse non valid code.
-The comments surrounding functions is keeped with functions (important).
-The parser running in a background thread.

It would be great if the C++ parser could be separated from the CodeCompletion code, so it could be used for other purposes (better syntax highlight, code analysing).
For example, having with the same style the keyword int, float, CMyClass, wxWindow, etc. without requiering user to specify user-keywords.
Or having brace match highlighting, but when you are inside of that block (not like now that only higlights if you're at the brace).

Basically I would want CodeCompletion plugin becoming Visual Assist X. It really makes a difference, no joke. Once you get used to it's features, it's very difficult to use anything else.

If you ask what features are essential to me, those are:

Hovering Tooltips
Enhanced Listboxes
Better Parameter Info
Enhanced Syntax Coloring
Local Symbols in Bold
Suggestion Lists
Shorthand
Repair Case
Convert Dot to ->
Context Field
Definition Field
Navigate Back and Forward

Hovering tooltips is almost the most important feature to me:

The point of this is that you don't need any documentation, you get straight the comments from any function. It's simply too adictive. :D

All of this would be feasible with the current C::B parser, or it would requiere a very major rewrite?

rickg22:

--- Quote from: Takeshi Miya on December 08, 2005, 06:30:20 pm ---You're the first person I hear saying that writting a C++ parser is easy. :shock: I mean, a full C++ parser capable of parsing templates and very big projects (like STL, QT, Mozilla, wx).

--- End quote ---

Oh no, i don't mean a full C++ parser... that would require Yacc / Bison / etc / eew. Actually, i'm only replicating (and generalizing) the C::B parser's functionality. But I'm gonna rewrite it using FSA's so we can extend it for other languages. And I'm gonna use my work-in-progress search tree, so we end up with something like this:

the current_token_id would be something like enum, like
token_if,token_then,token_class, etc. (I'll have two search trees: One for C++ keywords, like "class", "typedef", "public", "for","if", etc;, and another for identifiers "myvar","myclass" <- these are the ones added to the parser.)

--- Code: ---if(is_keyword)
{
  appropriate_action = thisparser->lookup_action_for_keywords(current_state,current_token_id);
  next_state = thisparser->lookup_state_for_keywords(current_state,current_token_id);
}
else
{
  appropriate_action = thisparser->takeaction_for_identifiers(current_token_id);
  next_state = thisparser->lookup_state_for_identifiers(current_state,current_token_id);
}

switch(appropriate_action)
{
 case id_add_function_declaration: add_function_declaration(thistoken->params) /* or something */

}

current_state = next_state;

--- End code ---

See, a finite state machine changes state depending on the current state and keyword. (FSA's or FSM's as they're also called They're able to recognize regular expressions) Additionally, I'm adding an appropriate action which would modify the parser.

See:

http://www.cs.brown.edu/~jes/book/BOOK/node10.html

--- Quote ---(insert lotsa suggestions here)

All of this would be feasible with the current C::B parser, or it would requiere a very major rewrite?

--- End quote ---
I don't know, I haven't thought of the details. But the theory is there :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version