User forums > Help

ld.exe cannot find -lfreeglut

<< < (2/5) > >>

Jenna:

--- Quote from: searcher on December 05, 2011, 04:02:31 am ---Yes I have read your instructions - 2 weeks ago I had that demo program running. So, I decided to start from scratch following your instructions as carefully as possible. All seemed to go well until I tried to edit the glut.cbp file. CB would not allow me to edit the file directly so I went to notepad and made the change as requested and replaced the file in the original location. Now when I try to set up the testing demo I get some info tabs about something being outdated and asking me to define glut !!
I tried running the classic console program "Hello World" (with both versions of glut.cbp) and still get the message :  ld.exe cannot find -lfreeglut32.
If you have any further advice it will be appreciated. Many thanks.

--- End quote ---
Never, never, never edit a projectfile directly, until you know exactly what you do !

Every advice to do so is bullshit !!

If you want to change the name of a linklibrary do it in the projects "Build options".

JackDawson:

--- Quote from: jens on December 05, 2011, 06:33:50 am ---
--- Quote from: searcher on December 05, 2011, 04:02:31 am ---Yes I have read your instructions - 2 weeks ago I had that demo program running. So, I decided to start from scratch following your instructions as carefully as possible. All seemed to go well until I tried to edit the glut.cbp file. CB would not allow me to edit the file directly so I went to notepad and made the change as requested and replaced the file in the original location. Now when I try to set up the testing demo I get some info tabs about something being outdated and asking me to define glut !!
I tried running the classic console program "Hello World" (with both versions of glut.cbp) and still get the message :  ld.exe cannot find -lfreeglut32.
If you have any further advice it will be appreciated. Many thanks.

--- End quote ---
Never, never, never edit a projectfile directly, until you know exactly what you do !

Every advice to do so is bullshit !!

If you want to change the name of a linklibrary do it in the projects "Build options".

--- End quote ---

@ Jens
If you read the tutorial, you'll see why he has to edit two files directly. I was asked by several others to make this tutorial since most could not get regular Glut to work since it was outdated. So I was asked to make a Tutorial to set it up for freeGlut. So yes, he has to edit those two files directly for this to work with freeGlut.

Beings that your an admin, figured I better show you proof that I was asked to do it, and I didn't want you banning me for something I was asked to do. Even the Developer approved this : http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php/topic,14967.0.html

And the tutorial has been referenced here and there by others. Here is one example : http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php/topic,15313.0.html

oBFusCATed:
@JackDawson:
The replacement of glut with freeglut can be done in the gui, too, so Jens is generally right.
Also, why do you need the glut.cbp file? As far as I can see, the project file is generated
by the wizard script and glut.cbp is not mentioned in it!

p.s. Jens is not only admin, but a developer!

JackDawson:

--- Quote from: oBFusCATed on December 05, 2011, 11:28:24 am ---@JackDawson:
The replacement of glut with freeglut can be done in the gui, too, so Jens is generally right.
Also, why do you need the glut.cbp file? As far as I can see, the project file is generated
by the wizard script and glut.cbp is not mentioned in it!

p.s. Jens is not only admin, but a developer!

--- End quote ---

Yes it is mentioned. Look at the tutorial again.

According to his profile here on this thread it just says Admin. So I had no other way of knowing. It shows you as a developer, not him.

As far as editing it inside the GUI, I would have to do it for EVERY PROJECT and the thing is, why would you ? You see you use either Glut OR freeGlut, but you would never use both. Because lets face it, the whole purpose of freeGlut is to replace the old Glut. So you would edit the file as I have shown in the tutorials.

If you guys would actually READ my tutorial you would understand all this and know that there are TWO files that you have to edit.

oBFusCATed:
I've read your tutorial or glanced at it!

Can you tell me why glut.cbp is needed?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version