Author Topic: smallB's suggestions  (Read 33569 times)

Offline smallB

• Almost regular
Re: smallB's suggestions
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2011, 02:03:55 pm »
@jens and as for you saying:
"I spent many times in one of your threads (stray \216) and at the end it turns out to be a misconfiguration, because you did not read the manual of the compiler you use."
Few points:
1. I never and nowhere claimed that I'm experienced programmer nor cb user - quite the contrary
2. I thought that this forum is for people (unexperienced users too) having trouble with configuring/using cb - am I wrong? Or is this forum just for experienced cb users and experienced programmers? So they won't ask questions/have problems that will cause waste of your time?
I'm sorry, there have to be some misunderstanding about purpose of this forum. So would you mind clarifying it to me?

When you say on your forum:
a) Help
    Code::Blocks installation/troubleshooting issues. This is NOT a general programming board.

Do you really mean that, and is this forum's purpose to help ANY user (experienced or not)?
b) Using Code::Blocks
 General questions regarding the usage of Code::Blocks (all platforms)

Do you really mean that, and is this forum's purpose to help using cb by ANY user (experienced or not)?
c) Development
 Anything concerning development of Code::Blocks. Regular users should use the other forums for support/help/suggestions.

Do you really mean that, and do you really want to hear from ANY user (experienced or not)suggestions? Do you really mean that help can be asked by ANY user, and that support will be provided to ANY user?

And saying to someone that reading his/her post is a waste of time is VERY offensive. Especially in view of the above I've just listed for you - you do not indicate anywhere that suggestions are not welcome - quite the contrary, you do not indicate that only experienced users are welcome and only they can ask for help, and you do not indicate anywhere that users should restrain themselves from asking for help if they are unexperienced programmers/cb users and if they don't they will just waste your time.
I'm sorry to say/hear that.

zabzonk

« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2011, 02:25:21 pm »
Nobody is saying you cannot ask for help. And in fact you have been given quite a lot of help, by me, among others. And I, and I suspect others, will continue giving help, if you request it.

However, as I said before, anyone can have ideas, and posting ideas alone is not particularly helpful. CB works the way it does because that is the way its developers want or have wanted it to work - if you want it to work significantly differently (and most of your "ideas" were very significant changes) then it is up to you to

(a) make a very good and detailed case for them, which so far you have not - "I would like it to work this way" is not sufficient,

(b) suggest how such changes might be implemented, and how the implementation would avoid problems with other parts of CB

(c)  ideally provide some code.

This is not something specific to CB, it is the way that all FOSS projects operate. You would get the same response if you repeatedly posted ideas alone about how (say) GCC or Apache should be changed.

Offline smallB

• Almost regular
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2011, 02:40:08 pm »
@Neil fair enough, will try to teach myself about patching/plugin etc for cb and contribute to this great project. And Neil, I'm very grateful for your and other's help.

Offline smallB

• Almost regular
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2011, 08:58:18 am »
3. Checking matching brackets when matters only.
I don't think that checking for matching braces in either:
a) comments
b) as a string
c) as a char
is the right thing to do.
Thanks

Offline smallB

• Almost regular
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2011, 09:04:22 am »
4. SmartSense's window is not placed correctly when editing line is close to bottom of the screen.

Offline smallB

• Almost regular
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2011, 09:36:49 am »
5. While debugging something like VS's "show next statement"(yellow arrow on debugging bar) could prove to be very useful.

Offline smallB

• Almost regular
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2011, 09:46:29 am »
6. Debugger doesn't stop on a breakpoint. In project (http://www.mediafire.com/?h34w9ow9ok2wn88) set debug point on line no 15 in main.cpp. This will have no effect. Debugger will exit with code zero. In order to reach this point one have to set another debugging point - i.e. no 12  in main.cpp. This time debugger will skip the first debug point and stop on the second (the wanted one).

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2011, 10:02:01 am »
As stated in the other topic if it works in a command line gdb, but is doesn't in c::b, then it is some bug on our side.
But if it doesn't even work in gdb then we can do nothing, because gdb is the read debugger, c::b is just a wrapper/gui over it.
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline ollydbg

• Developer
  • Lives here!
  • OpenCV and Robotics
    • Chinese OpenCV forum moderator
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2011, 10:04:39 am »
6. Debugger doesn't stop on a breakpoint. In project (http://www.mediafire.com/?h34w9ow9ok2wn88) set debug point on line no 15 in main.cpp. This will have no effect. Debugger will exit with code zero. In order to reach this point one have to set another debugging point - i.e. no 12  in main.cpp. This time debugger will skip the first debug point and stop on the second (the wanted one).
I just test your project, and I found that it is your fault.
1, you have enabled the "-O2" option.
2, you have enabled the "-s" option.
Remove those options, and rebuild your target, this will let your debugger works quite well. Next time you meet such a problem, I suggest you need to post the "full build log" and the "full debugger log".
If some piece of memory should be reused, turn them to variables (or const variables).
If some piece of operations should be reused, turn them to functions.
If they happened together, then turn them to classes.

Offline ollydbg

• Developer
  • Lives here!
  • OpenCV and Robotics
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2011, 10:06:52 am »
5. While debugging something like VS's "show next statement"(yellow arrow on debugging bar) could prove to be very useful.
No idea about your feature request.
Please show us the screen shot, and how it works by step by step mini sample code. Thanks.
If some piece of memory should be reused, turn them to variables (or const variables).

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2011, 10:19:14 am »
Haha, I've the same problem myself yesterday, I had -O2 and -s and I wanted to debug, stupid me, lost a bit of precious time.

About feature no 5, I doubt, gdb supports this, smallB if you can tell me the command I can probably do something about it.
But I've never used this feature in VStudio...
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline smallB

• Almost regular
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2011, 11:45:01 am »
Next time you meet such a problem, I suggest you need to post the "full build log" and the "full debugger log".
Absolutely agree. Will remember next time. Thanks.

Offline smallB

• Almost regular
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2011, 12:07:28 pm »
Haha, I've the same problem myself yesterday, I had -O2 and -s and I wanted to debug, stupid me, lost a bit of precious time.

About feature no 5, I doubt, gdb supports this, smallB if you can tell me the command I can probably do something about it.
But I've never used this feature in VStudio...
I'm not sure about the exact command but it will have something to do with next statement to be executed.
The whole point of having that, is that when you are in debugging process sometimes you want to check something without canceling the whole debug process. So you go let's say to another file and you're checking some definitions, then you go to another/or the same file and checking another things. After you done you would like to continue debugging but you don't remember where was it (which file, which line) the only options at the moment is either find manually the point where you stopped before you decided to check something or press one of: "next line", "go into" or "step out". This isn't always satisfactory because one of those steps may go into fnc which will cause exception and you won't know which line it was so you cannot prepare yourself for that next time. Instead you have to repeat whole debugging process all over, cause exception, remember the exact place and start debugging again.

With what I propose you would just press "show next statement" and you'd be brought back to where you left off.
Thanks.

Offline ollydbg

• Developer
  • Lives here!
  • OpenCV and Robotics
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2011, 12:22:22 pm »
After you done you would like to continue debugging but you don't remember where was it (which file, which line) the only options at the moment is either find manually the point where you stopped before you decided to check something or press one of: "next line", "go into" or "step out". This isn't always satisfactory because one of those steps may go into fnc which will cause exception and you won't know which line it was so you cannot prepare yourself for that next time. Instead you have to repeat whole debugging process all over, cause exception, remember the exact place and start debugging again.

With what I propose you would just press "show next statement" and you'd be brought back to where you left off.
Thanks.
Ok, for this feature request, I always double click on the lowest frame in the "call stack" window, then I return to the "next statement" position.  :D

Offline smallB

• Almost regular
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2011, 12:44:21 pm »
@ollydbg, yes, sure that is good workaround but I think (if it's not to hard to implement) it would be nice to have it on a debugging toolbar.

Just a thought.
Regards