Author Topic: How to build IDL files  (Read 7592 times)

Offline xzminx

• Single posting newcomer
How to build IDL files
« on: September 30, 2011, 02:53:24 pm »
Hi guys, I need help building .idl file.

It is supposed to create .h and .cpp files but I'm having problems figuring this out in C::B.

Any help is appreciated.

PS: I found only 1 topic mentioning IDL files and the user there (so it seems) did manage to build those files so it can be done.

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: How to build IDL files
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011, 03:45:14 pm »
It is supposed to create .h and .cpp files but I'm having problems figuring this out in C::B.
As C::B is an IDE driving object compilers and has nothing to do with "IDL files" you are actually in the wrong forum.

However, I can tell from experience that you'll need an IDL compiler (which has nothing to do with an object compiler btw.) which will generate the interface for you. MSVC ships with one which might work. I am not aware of any MinGW/GCC based IDL compiler.
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline xzminx

• Single posting newcomer
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2011, 04:20:55 pm »
Yes, indeed it is so. I only thought it was supported (shipped with) C::B, just not supported by default.
I'm now downloading MS idl compiler and see it from there. Thanks for your help.

Offline reckless

• Regular
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2011, 01:47:31 pm »
I am not aware of any MinGW/GCC based IDL compiler

Widl part of the wine project but also ported to win by the reactos team.
You can also get it from mingw64 trunk. Its syntax is loosely based on the microsoft midl compiler so not to hard to start with if you are used to that.