Author Topic: glib on xp from devpak or by building it?  (Read 4695 times)

Offline verthex

• Multiple posting newcomer
glib on xp from devpak or by building it?
« on: July 09, 2011, 12:12:20 pm »
I'm having difficulties installing the glib library on windows XP with codeblocks. I tried the devpak installer but its having difficulties "reading from the stream". I figured maybe building the glib from scratch would work somehow but I'm not too familiar how to go about it. Is there some easy way to install the files. How can I take a devpak file and extract the .h and .a files from it, thats one possibility. I tried opening it in winrar but that doesnt work.

Offline reckless

• Regular
Re: glib on xp from devpak or by building it?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011, 12:18:47 pm »
7zip

Offline verthex

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2011, 12:52:23 pm »
Ok, downloading it now. Another question (related). If I have cygwin installed with glib is there some way to use that installation from codeblocks or would the file location on the system make things really complicated from the header files perspective.

I'm also wondering what lib .a files do I use in the linker options? to compile most programs?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 01:29:38 pm by verthex »

Offline reckless

• Regular
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2011, 04:37:52 pm »
if codeblocks is setup to use the cygwin compiler then it should work.

if looking for a newer gtk to use try here http://www.gtk.org/ they provide both linux and win32 packages.

gtk has a lot of dependencies though. from the top of my head you need glib atk pixman pango and several image libraries like png tiff jasper and a few more.

you might also need iconv. you can get these dependencies from the url above.

p.s the above libraries are not made for cygwin. you might need mingw.

Offline olipfei

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2011, 02:58:06 pm »
if looking for a newer gtk to use try here http://www.gtk.org/ they provide both linux and win32 packages.

gtk has a lot of dependencies though. from the top of my head you need glib atk pixman pango and several image libraries like png tiff jasper and a few more.
Regarding dependencies, http://www.gtk.org/download/win32.php should give you the necessary information.

Ok, downloading it now. Another question (related). If I have cygwin installed with glib is there some way to use that installation from codeblocks or would the file location on the system make things really complicated from the header files perspective.

I'm also wondering what lib .a files do I use in the linker options? to compile most programs?

Had to setup glib and its dependencies myself quite recently... with mingw, not with cygwin, but if I interpret your question correctly, the following might help you: From the above link also download the 'pkg-config' package (which is the Win32 incarnation of its Linux/Unix pendant) and extract it to the same directory tree where glib and its deps reside. Then in the 'Build options' of your CB project, place `pkg-config --cflags <package name>` (note the backquotes!) under 'Compiler settings'->'Other options' resp. `pkg-config --libs <package name>` under 'Linker settings'->'Other linker options'. This instantly gives you the correct include directories and lib .a files.

Regards,
Oliver