Author Topic: FREEGLUT can work with C::B as default ( Now on Wiki for C::B )  (Read 18287 times)

Offline JackDawson

• Multiple posting newcomer
Re: FREEGLUT can work with C::B as default ( Now on Wiki for C::B )
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2011, 12:40:34 pm »
I use freeglut dev svn : https://freeglut.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/freeglut/trunk
You can build yourselves:
Code
./autogen.sh
./configure --prefix=/mingw
make
make install

Ahh yea, as I previously stated, the tutorial is about pre-compiled binaries. Those that are new to C::B have a hard time if I go into explaining how to compile the code too. I am trying to keep this as simple as possible for them. However, can you take a screen shot of those three above related files you mention after compiling ? Can you also write up a small tutorial on how to compile it and it showing those files for linux users ? I would love to add that to the wiki and I can go into more detail on how to use this in Linux for Linux users.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 04:30:54 pm by JackDawson »

Offline xunxun

• Almost regular
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2011, 03:15:50 pm »
Ahh yea, as I previously stated, the tutorial is about pre-compiled binaries. Those that are new to C::B have a hard time if I go into explaining how to compile the code too. I am trying to keep this as simple as possible for them. However, can you take a screen shot of those three above related files you mention after compiling ? Can you also write up a small tutorial on how to compile it and it showing those files for linux users ? I would love to add that to the wiki and I can go into more detail on how to use this in Linux for Linux users.
I'm on Win7.
If you want to compile the svn code yourselves on windows, you should have msys and mingw/mingw64 gcc compiler.
then you can follow my words:
Code
./autogen.sh
make
make install
You 'll see precompiled libs in /mingw.
Regards,
xunxun

Offline JackDawson

« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2011, 04:09:57 pm »
I'm on Win7.
If you want to compile the svn code yourselves on windows, you should have msys and mingw/mingw64 gcc compiler.
then you can follow my words:
Code
./autogen.sh
make
make install
You 'll see precompiled libs in /mingw.

Ok well that's my point, I tried that on Windows and I still never got those files..  what I been asking you for several messages now, is can you SHOW me where you find those files.

"Posted by: xunxun1982
Insert Quote
I think the default lib name of newest freeglut (svn) is libglut-0.dll, libglut.a and libglut.dll.a."

I cannot find any of those files even if I compile it under windows using MSys. I'm asking you to please show me where you got this info. Your saying stuff that I have not been able to see verified and if there is some proof of it, I would like to correct my mistake on the Wiki. Otherwise, your confusing all the new ones to this topic and it has no barring on this thread. So I ask again please, in kindness and all due respect to you, to show me where I need to correct my mistake. Because so far, I cannot find those files even AFTER I compile it.

I still end up with freeglut.dll.

UPDATE EDIT :  I think I get now what your trying to say, it makes those files durring compile time. I paid attention to the output options of GCC more when it compiled the DLL.

EXAMPLE : --out-implib, libexample_dll.a

You can use that type of command when compiling. But as a default, without that command, it will make a DLL with the freeglut code. So its how I missed it in the first place. But again, back to what this thread is about, there is no need to make those pre-compiled libraries since the DLL works on both linux and Windows for C::B already. However, I have seen a couple reports on how people have tried to do it with a DLL and failed. My humble opinion on that is that they just don't know how to do it properly. I have read a few posts on other forums that they were successful at it for linux.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 04:32:10 pm by JackDawson »

Offline xunxun

• Almost regular
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2011, 01:51:42 am »
I don't know how you build the code, and I use the lastest svn code, don't you?
This is the images:

Regards,
xunxun

Offline JackDawson

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2011, 02:35:25 am »
Yes, I use the latest and I still do not get those odd files. So we'll just have to call this one a mystery.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 02:42:03 am by JackDawson »

Offline xunxun

• Almost regular
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2011, 02:45:14 am »
Did you use the latest svn or you use latest release code?
The svn source image:

You can get the code with:
Code
svn co https://freeglut.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/freeglut freeglut
You can build with msys/mingw:
Code
./autogen.sh
make
make install
then you can get these files in /mingw.
Regards,
xunxun

Offline JackDawson

« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2011, 02:49:00 am »
EDIT. . never mind. I just now saw your link..  hahahaha  i'll check it out.  Thanks. :)

EDIT 2 : Wow.. I don't see that at all. In fact, your version is showing symbols other then English. ( Chinese ? ). I don't see any of that at all. And I am in the folder that your pointing me too.

I think I just solved it though. Your using Visual Studio to compile this ? Because your files are showing Visual Studio icons. ( Under the SVN green check mark icon )

I do not have any Microsoft compiler installed. I use strictly MinGW with C::B.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 02:59:15 am by JackDawson »

Offline xunxun

• Almost regular
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2011, 03:36:16 am »
EDIT. . never mind. I just now saw your link..  hahahaha  i'll check it out.  Thanks. :)

EDIT 2 : Wow.. I don't see that at all. In fact, your version is showing symbols other then English. ( Chinese ? ). I don't see any of that at all. And I am in the folder that your pointing me too.

I think I just solved it though. Your using Visual Studio to compile this ? Because your files are showing Visual Studio icons. ( Under the SVN green check mark icon )

I do not have any Microsoft compiler installed. I use strictly MinGW with C::B.

No, I use msys+mingw.
You must build in the msys, then you can get these files.
Regards,
xunxun

Offline JackDawson

« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2011, 03:42:03 am »
Ahh that explains it. I have used Msys..  but only once to test a shell that a source code needed. It can pass some odd perimeters. Remember Msys is NOT a compiler, but more like a unix like shell. But it can let you pass some interesting perimeters.

So that brings us back to ..  i'm not getting those files when I compile. Its the strangest thing. Either way.. we could debate this forever..  but really..  the binaries is all the noobs need and I have already explained that in the tutorial.

One thing about it though, I appreciate you taking the time to try to show this. I will definitely have to ponder over this and write something in the tutorial about compiling the code from source. Thank you.