Author Topic: Integrating with TortoiseCVS and CVSNT server?  (Read 6701 times)

miggl

Integrating with TortoiseCVS and CVSNT server?
« on: November 24, 2005, 03:23:42 am »
I appologize if this question has already been raised, but I couldn't find an answer to it:

How do I integrate TortoiseCVS and CVSNT into Code:Blocks? The SVN plugin doesn't seem to work right, since I don't have SVN installed.

Thanks for any help you guys can send my way :)

Offline David Perfors

• Developer
  • Lives here!
Re: Integrating with TortoiseCVS and CVSNT server?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2005, 09:30:45 am »
I don't think it is possible yet. unless someone is willing to "hack" the svn plugin to work with cvs correctly. I think you have to wait till the svn plugin is corrected so it can be used with cvs to.
Compiler: mingw
IDE: Code::Blocks SVN WX: 2.8.4 Wish list: faster code completion, easier debugging, refactoring

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2005, 10:54:17 am »
The SVN plugin used to work reasonably well with CVS back in the old days, although CVS support was always a secondary priority. In fact, the additional code to support CVS was what effectively made the project nearly unmaintainable.

I haven't been working on that plugin for about 2-3 months now, been busy with Code::Blocks core during that time. The next (long awaited) release of the SVN plugin will only support Subversion, and everything related to CVS will be made into a separate, independent module after that.

CVS will always be secondary to me, as more and more projects are moving to Subversion which is a lot better anyway. If you can't wait and need CVS support now, feel welcome to make a plugin of your own (but please let me know, so we don't do the same work twice).
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

Offline David Perfors

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2005, 12:15:27 pm »
Thomas. is it possible to use the svn plugin as base for the cvs plugin? A lot of things looks the same for both cvs and svn (only the commands are diffrent... as far as I know...)
Compiler: mingw
IDE: Code::Blocks SVN WX: 2.8.4 Wish list: faster code completion, easier debugging, refactoring

takeshimiya

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2005, 12:33:54 pm »
Have a base class:

Common
    SVN
    CVS
    Perforce
    Others

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2005, 01:05:08 pm »
Thomas. is it possible to use the svn plugin as base for the cvs plugin? A lot of things looks the same for both cvs and svn (only the commands are diffrent... as far as I know...)
Yes, 99% of it is exactly the same. Both the svn and the cvs path of the plugin use the same base class to call the respective tool. It only gets difficult when building the menu or implementing error handling with asynchronous execution, because you have two tools to consider all the time. This is why I am now doing a svn-only rewrite.
Technically, implementing cvs is almost as easy as replacing "svn.exe" with "cvs.exe" globally, changing a few commandline options, and inverting the return code for diff -- which is what I'll be doing in the end.
But first, svn gotta work.
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."