Author Topic: C::B won't run on my computer  (Read 5515 times)

Offline Coko37

• Single posting newcomer
C::B won't run on my computer
« on: July 04, 2011, 05:36:51 pm »
I have windows 2000 pro sp4 and everytime I click on the C::B shortcut nothing happens.  I opened task-manager and codeblocks.exe was there, but nothing was happening.  Is there some kind of minimum hardware requirement? My computer is really old. I also have C::B 10.05
« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 05:44:09 pm by Coko37 »

zabzonk

Re: C::B won't run on my computer
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 07:31:21 pm »
My last laptop, which packed in about 4 months ago, was Win2K, 900Mhz processor and 256Mb of RAM, and it ran CB 10.x just fine. So I doubt it is a minimum requirements thing. But Win2K is getting really old - MS have stopped supporting it. Time for an upgrade? I realise you may not be able to afford it, which is why I stuck with my Win2K box for so long, but a modern processor & lots of RAM really does make a big difference.

Offline AlexN

• Multiple posting newcomer
    • Alex's Link Sammlung
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 12:51:46 pm »
Sometimes I have the same impression, but when I look round I find under my open windows a dialog to choose the default compiler. After selecting the default compiler (and some versions need this every time) C::B starts fine.
best regards
 Alex ;)

Offline Coko37

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2011, 09:27:00 pm »
@neil im getting a new computer soon. hopefully it work work on the new computer. thanks for your help though
@alex the process shows up on the list but the application doesn't show up on the application list and i've looked around but thanks
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 09:31:08 pm by Coko37 »

Offline Freem

• Almost regular
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 03:15:03 pm »
Did you check windows' logs? (run this command: Eventvwr.msc )
Maybe there is something usefull there to say what don't work? (disable service, frequent crash...)

PS: from http://www.wxwidgets.org/docs/faqmsw.htm#platforms
wxWidgets can be used to develop and deliver applications on Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows NT, Windows 2000, Windows XP, and Windows Vista. A Windows CE port is also available (see below).
so it seem that is not a w2k problem. Or maybe C::B use something implemented only for wXP+ and linux and macOS, but it sound extremely strange for me :)

Offline Coko37

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2011, 05:57:47 pm »
@ freem I just checked the logs and didn't find anything from June 1, 2011 and after and I didn't have C::B at that point.  maybe I'll get an older version of C::B just to see if it works btw I also noticed the process codeblocks.exe has no CPU time either.  when and if i find out how to make it work i'll let you guys know.  thanks again for your help

Offline ouch

• Almost regular
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2011, 06:07:57 pm »
I would try starting C::B in minimal and verbose logging mode to see what it's problem is.

Offline Coko37

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2011, 03:33:47 am »
downloaded the 8.02 and it works fine  :D