Author Topic: Local Variables does not show all variables when I step into a function  (Read 6115 times)

Offline const451

• Multiple posting newcomer
Hi All,

While debugging, Local Variables window does not show all variables when I step into a function. e.g. in the code below it will only show variable "status", that's it, but I want to see s and m_sock.

1) How do I set debugger to show all variables that are in the scope of the function I am stepping into?

2) How can I hover over the variable and see its value?

bool Socket::send ( const std::string s ) const
{
    int status = ::send ( m_sock, s.c_str(), s.size(), MSG_NOSIGNAL );
    if ( status == -1 )
    {
        return false;
    }
    else
    {
        return true;
    }
}

THX!

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
Hm, you're missing the definition of local variables....

s is a function argument, not a local var
m_sock is member of the class, not a local var again...
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline const451

I am not missing anything, my function is fully legitimate. It's true that those are not local variables, however my questions are:

1) How do I set up Codeblocks to show all variables that are in the scope (not only local variables) of the function I am stepping into?

2) How can I hover over the variable and see its value?

« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 05:56:49 pm by const451 »

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
1. You can't, as far as I know, GDB doesn't support such feature.
2. See the debugger settings for the second question. The option is called 'Evaluate expression under cursor'
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline ouch

• Almost regular
keep in mind you can add any variables to the watch list and see them whether they are in scope or not.

Offline const451

1. You can't, as far as I know, GDB doesn't support such feature.
2. See the debugger settings for the second question. The option is called 'Evaluate expression under cursor'

2) Works - Thank you!

Concerning 1): since #2 works - I can hover over any variable, including local, global, and class members and I can see the value while I am inside a function, then such feature is supported by gdb. It's just a matter of Codeblocks having a window to display the values of all those variables.

I think I'll post another thread.