Author Topic: Compiling MAC OS X in Windows  (Read 8497 times)

Offline papricaz

• Single posting newcomer
Compiling MAC OS X in Windows
« on: May 21, 2011, 07:18:40 pm »
Is it possible to compile MAC OS X applications in Windows using Code::Blocks?
I Googled it and many people said that I need to download Xcode which is Mac only...

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
Re: Compiling MAC OS X in Windows
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 12:31:41 am »
Yes, if you find a compiler which can do it:)
C::B is only an IDE, not a compiler (read the FAQ on the wiki, for more details).

p.s. don't bother to search, there is no such compiler because this is not the Apple *cough* *cough* way of doing things...   :lol:
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline papricaz

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 04:45:12 am »
So what IS Apple's way of doing things? Download their IDE with their own modified version of GCC?

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2011, 09:57:20 am »
So what IS Apple's way of doing things? Download their IDE with their own modified version of GCC?
The way is buying a Mac, then everything (IDE's, SDK's and compiler) is easily available.

It's simply their policy, but really: Developing for Mac without a Mac is not something wise to do IMHO...
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline papricaz

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2011, 02:03:05 pm »
Developing for Mac without a Mac is not something wise to do IMHO...
That's the issue. I'm not developing ONLY for Mac.
Let's say I wrote this big project for Windows and Mac, wouldn't it be easier if I could compile for both platforms without having to send my project to my Mac machine (VMWare  :?), download Xcode, create a new project, copy my project files to the project directory and add them in the IDE?
And what if I want to keep updating my project? That would definitely be a mess.

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2011, 02:30:59 pm »
That's the issue. I'm not developing ONLY for Mac.
See, that's the issue we face with this project, too. actually licensing is even more strict: You are not even allowed to use e.g. XCode without a proper Mac hardware. You (as we) have no other choice for serious Mac development than to buy Mac hardware and use a remote desktop tool or alike. Luckily there is C::B for the Mac and sharing resources (files) between platforms works. So the project settings are not an issue.

Also, virtualising is not an option, as you are not allowed to create a virtual machine for a Mac without a Mac... So, unless you buy a Mac you are going to run in circles therefore... ;-)

However, once you own a Mac there is Bootcamp / vmWare again which you could use to virtualise MS Windows (assuming you have a Windows license). Then (and IMHO only then) you have both OS'es on one hardware.

...or is there anything I am missing?!
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2011, 04:13:43 pm »
papricaz: another problem is the Mac way of doing things is very different from the normal computing, so you'll need a continuous testing on the Mac, to verify that your software is working as expected. The best thing is to have a Mac dedicated developer, but I'm sure they are very rear creatures, because of this "Apply way", I mentioned earlier.
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline papricaz

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2011, 07:49:46 pm »
All this just makes me loss my interest in developing cross platform softwares... :(

but I'm sure they are very rear creatures
Excuse me but my English is not that good. What's rear? Google Translate is not being smart
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 08:09:52 pm by papricaz »

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2011, 08:31:02 pm »
Sorry, I meant RARE...

And yes, developing cross platform software is N times harder than single platform software. (N is the number of platforms)