Author Topic: Suggestion for the compiler log...  (Read 22895 times)

Offline rickg22

• Lives here!
Suggestion for the compiler log...
« on: May 04, 2011, 11:01:04 pm »
Hi guys!

I was thinking of a feature that would seem somewhat useful, but it might require a bit of "hacking" with wxWidgets classes (i.e. making new ones).

A foldable compiler log. We know how in the compiler options we can choose what level of detail we show in the compiler, and I thought of this idea:

What if We could choose "in real time" to see the extended log of a specific log line?

i.e.

Code
"No output" = [+] Click here to expand the compilation log

"Task description" =

[-] Compiler log:
     [+] Compiling "file.cpp"...
     [+] Compiling "another_file.cpp"...

"Full command line" =

[-] Compiler log:
     [-] Compiling "file.cpp"...
          gcc -someoption -anotheroption -cxxflag=blahblahblah -o file.o file.cpp
          [+] Errors detected while compiling this file.

[-] Compiler log:
     [-] Compiling "file.cpp"...
          gcc -someoption -anotheroption -cxxflag=blahblahblah -o file.o file.cpp
          [-] Errors detected while compiling this file.
               WARNING: On file file.cpp, on line NN... <--- this would have a "hyperlink" to point me to the appropriate file. Something like a merge between the compiler messages and the compiler log.

Same would go for the build messages... sometimes I have to switch between the build messages and the build log to see the details... but I don't think this is quite feasible...

What do you think? (Oh - also, perhaps the buffer could be copied for pasting only at the shown levels... this would be awesome!)

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
Re: Suggestion for the compiler log...
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 11:30:12 pm »
Do you know a widget, which could be used for this kind of feature?
You need a tree that can word wrap long items.

Also it should be fast, so the compile time won't suffer.
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline rickg22

• Lives here!
Re: Suggestion for the compiler log...
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 11:32:03 pm »
Perhaps the compiler log can have two "views"... A simple text one, showing the compilation status, and a complex one that would appear after the compilation has stopped.